Film Developing questions

tmurphy0828

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently started processing my own film an its been going pretty well but I just had a few questions.
Durring the developing process when I am agitating my tank by flipping it over a few times it seems to be really really leaky. Is that to be expected? or did I just get a cheap tank or something? I have a samigon ss tank. Second question is what are some methods to keep dried water spots from forming on my negatives? Ive tried using just my fingers and a film squeegee but I still am getting water spots

I just agitate the tank by rolling it in a horizontal circle at a slight angle, then tapping the corner when I set it back down to dislodge any bubble that may have settled on the film.

There is a special liquid (Photo-Flo) you can get to reduce the water spots.

Hmmm maybe I should try that method of agitation instead of flipping the tank over. Ohhh man I totally forgot about photo-flo! ill have to get some

I've got a Patterson tank and it leaks once in a while. The lid is a little picky about how it wants to be put on. If yours is very leaky all the time, then yeah - might not be the best tank. But there are other ways to agitate. There's the method Sparky explained, and there's also spinning. Did your tank come with that rod that sticks in the center of the tank to spin the reels? That's another way to agitate while leaving the tank itself perfectly still.

Water spots: I have nothing against PhotoFlo, but I actually use JetDry. Just a tiny drop in the final rinse. Seriously, just one very small drop is all you need (same with PhotoFlo - both are just wetting agents that break the surface tension of the water.) Use an eye dropper to control it. Or use distilled water for the final rinse, or put some distilled water in a spray bottle and spray some on the film when you first hang it to dry.

When I take the film out of the reel, I give it a few good shakes, almost like I'm cracking a whip. I used to squeegee with my fingers but that really didn't make much difference. Then I hang the film to dry. Bathroom is the best place, if you're not already hanging it. Less dust.

No I know what you are talking about though I have seen tanks with that little rod for spinning. Mine is just a metal tank with a plastic lid no area for a rod. Ill have to look into Jetdry as well. thanks for the tips!

I hold my tank with my thumb on the little cap, fingers under the tank and squeeze to prevent leaks for inversion. Most of my tanks are Omega or Nikor, with stainless caps, sometimes I have to pry the little cap to break the seal.

I use Photo Flo or an equivalent, no squeegee, just hang in the shower to dry. I run the shower HOT, and let the vapor settle to clear airborn dust before hanging the film.. I need to build a drying cabinet for the darkroom.

Phil

Last edited:
Most tanks are going to leak a little, or you might spill a little when changing chemicals. Just lay down an old towel on the table or counter you are developing film on.

I hold my tank with my thumb on the little cap, fingers under the tank and squeeze to prevent leaks for inversion. Most of my tanks are Omega or Nikor, with stainless caps, sometimes I have to pry the little cap to break the seal.

I use Photo Flo or an equivalent, no squeegee, just hang in the shower to dry. I run the shower HOT, and let the vapor settle to clear airborn dust before hanging the film.. I need to build a drying cabinet for the darkroom.

Phil
Yeah I hold my tanks the same way when I do it but they leak a ton. maybe it because its a stainless tank with a plastic cap? idk but I seem to be losing a noticable amount of chemicals every time I develop.

Most tanks are going to leak a little, or you might spill a little when changing chemicals. Just lay down an old towel on the table or counter you are developing film on.
Yup already have an old towel down just for this reason

I used to be a news photog back in the film-only days. I developed film nearly every working day. My stainless steel tanks did not leak.

I only agitated once or twice during development. I'd turn the tank upside down with a slight twist.

Gary

hmmmm the directions that came with my chemicals told me to agitate every 30 seconds. is that overkill?

My timer is set up to announce the 30-second intervals.

I do 3 invertions every minute, but sometimes do stand developements where i agitate for 30 seconds then go and watch tv for 1 hour

Yeah I suppose I will just have to keep experimenting until I find what works best for me

Yeah, there are a lot of ways for agitating - there are a lot of different factors to consider - grain, developer, film...

I've actually found myself embracing a semi-stand process. Follow the recipe for stand developing, do the initial 30-second agitation, then two inversions (or spins with the rod) at 2,4,8,16, and 32 minutes.

But I use Caffenol, so I'm not sure if I would like that procedure as well if I were using a different developer. It also works well with Tri-X but I haven't done enough with other films to know if I like it for them as well.

So yes, there are a lot of ways to do things and it might take some experimenting, but you figure out what works best for you.

Most reactions

Back