Film Developing questions

I process b&w film in photo class. I agitate every 30 seconds by flipping the tank upside down and turning it back up for around 8 minutes. We use Patterson tanks and they almost always leak.

Many film tanks, including my good ol' Nikors, will leak a few drops. It's no problem unless the leakage is severe enough for the film to have an un-covered edge before the conclusion of the development period.

As to agitation: Pick a specific routine, such as two inversions every 30 seconds or every minute. Don't deviate. There are many variables in B&W starting with the film, the effective ASA at which you shoot it, processing developer/time/temp/agitation, paper contrast selection and exposure, etc. The one stage you have the greatest control over is the film development stage. If you standardize rigidly there, [I use but a couple of films and plain ol' D-76 straight up,] you can adjust the other variables as your results dictate. Trying to adjust too many variables will leave you unsure of yourself. With time, you should be able to envision the final print when you click the shutter. Takes discipline, but it's worth it.

I process b&w film in photo class. I agitate every 30 seconds by flipping the tank upside down and turning it back up for around 8 minutes. We use Patterson tanks and they almost always leak.
Paterson tanks have the little 'swirl stick', which I really like - and it works pretty well. No need to invert at all.

As far as preventing leaks - I've always just laid the lid on top of the tank (don't snap it down) when not in use. It is only actually sealed onto the tank when it needs to be. That seems to have helped.

Speaking of agitation, I feel like I just have to throw this out there because it seems like many don't know about it or have never tried it...

Try this - add 50% to the 'normal' developing time, then agitate for the first minute, then only 10 seconds every 3 minutes.

Too much agitation with modern film is no good, it impedes compensation effect, acutation and increases contrast. There should be just enough to ensure even development.

Paterson tanks have the little 'swirl stick', which I really like - and it works pretty well. No need to invert at all.

As far as preventing leaks - I've always just laid the lid on top of the tank (don't snap it down) when not in use. It is only actually sealed onto the tank when it needs to be. That seems to have helped.

I like the swirl stick and will often use that for the developing stage and only invert when washing (because it's faster and I'm impatient :) )

A little tank leakage isn't usually a problem. Even some good tanks like Paterson's leak a little but if, as you say, it leaks a lot then I would get a different tank. I know Paterson and Jobo tanks are very good and there are other good ones.

Most reactions

Back