Film fixing and agitation

Commonman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been using Kodak HC-100 developer for small tank film processing.
For fixing, I've been using Kodafix 1:3. I've been pouring the fixer in after the stop and agitating much like I agitate the developer: first 30 seconds and every 5 sec every 30 for abut 5 minutes. Is this correct?

It's a while since I've done it (about 15 years or so), but it sounds about right - presumably you're following the fixer instructions? From what I recall, there shouldn't be a need to vary the fixing process because of differing developers, though hopefully someone more current than me might pipe up and tell me to keep quite on the subject.

I've been using Kodak HC-100 developer for small tank film processing.
For fixing, I've been using Kodafix 1:3. I've been pouring the fixer in after the stop and agitating much like I agitate the developer: first 30 seconds and every 5 sec every 30 for abut 5 minutes. Is this correct?

Sounds about right to me. Does the film look ok when it comes out?

the instruction on the bottle should tell you how long to fix.

Different products call for different times which is due to the amount of "fixer " that is contained in the formula.

Yes, on the bottle of the "Kodafix" solution it says for 5-10 minutes or twice the clearing time. It also says up to 120 rolls may be fixed per gallon if a stop bath is used. These are the instructions for film (not paper).

However, it says nothing about agitation.

What do they mean by "twice the clearing time?"

What do they mean by "twice the clearing time?"
Take a bit of film (exposed to daylight) and drop it in some fix. Agitate it and all that. The amount of time it takes for the film to become clear is the "clearing time."

Ok - I understand about clearing time. Thank you.

Any comments on agitation when using the fixer?

agitate the same way for all. sorry i missed answering that the first time around.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back