Film for a Rolleiflex?

vlflab2k3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello all! I am new on these forums, so I hope this question is going in the right place. Anyways, I have recently acquired a Rolleiflex MX-EVS, beautiful camera, which i plan on sending to this guy for a CLR. When i get it back, i dont think i will know what film to use with it... what is generally regarded as a good medium formant 120 rollfilm? I was thinking Velvia 100. Also, slide or print? thanks in advance!

It really varies quite a bit on what you want to get out of the camera. Velvia is beautiful, very color saturated slide film. Provia is another Fuji film that I have been very happy with and is supposed to have some of the finest grain you can get. If you want to try some B&W prints, try something like Ilford FP4.

I'd suggest getting a variety of different types and brands of film and see which ones you get a kick out of. Tastes in film can very quite a bit from person to person.

Enjoy the cam!

Thanks. What about the film type, slide or print? Which is higher-resolution?

Thanks again. Sorry if this question sounds, well, "noobish," but will the slide be the same size as a slide from a 35mm camera?

So, to view these i would need a loupe and a lightbox, or is there a projector for that format?

Also, how large could I get prints of them before they start to looks crappy, assuming I didn't crop? Sorry i am so persistent with the dumb questions, thanks for your quick replies!

How big do you want to go?

This camera and lens will make beautiful enlargements. Poster, not a problem.

for example, a 20"x30" enlargement (assuming no cropping) could be handled by medium format no problem?

vlflab2k3 said:
for example, a 20"x30" enlargement (assuming no cropping) could be handled by medium format no problem?

Since it's a 6x6 neg you could go 20"x20" or 30"x30", but you can't get 20"x30" without cropping. ;)

My Rolleiflex is my most favorite camera.

haha! sorry about that, wasn't thinking when i wrote it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back