Film in camera 3 years

jkeefeholmes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I wonder if someone would mind giving advice as to whether we need specialservice or not. My sisters husband died about 3 years ago. We found his 35mm Minolta Maxumm 7000 camrea with some film in it. Natualy she would love to get the last pics he took developed. Do you think there is any special attention needed for it? I have finished up the roll, he took 11 shots, I took remaining 13 and have rewound the film. Its KodakGC24 ASA 400 The camera was always in a safe place, not heat or sun etc. Do you thnink we can just drop it off at the drugstore, or should it get special attention?. Is 3 years really old, or no problem? Thanks for any advice
Joe

You should just be able to drop it off and have it processed. The photos might be a bit funky colored but a decent lab tech should be able to color correct some of that for you.

I had 14 rolls of exposed film that was 7+ years old. It had been in a storage facility in Northern Indiana for 3 years, so it had seen the extremes of Hot/Humid weather as well as freezing cold. I only had 3 rolls that came out real bad. They were extremely grainy. The other rolls, though were not perfect, weren't real bad either considering the circumstances.

The real funny thing is that the first 11 rolls I had done at a local Meijer Store (like walmart) with 1 hour service. The 3 crappy rolls were done at a professional lab. All of the film was either walgreens brand or polaroid 35mm. I don't remember which was which, so I can't say if the bad rolls were different brand or if the lab screwed them up. I told both labs that the film was 7 years old. The took that into consideration.

Anyway, my whole point to old film is this. Many of the pictures that were in this group were of my son when he was between 2 and 4, including pictures of his 3rd birthday. Even though the quality may not be good enough to hang on wall these are priceless shots that I'm glad I have.

Unless you know whats on the film I would develop it. Developing is cheap and you may end up with a real keeper.

K

I had a roll of Kodachrome 25 (remember that?) that was exposed in 1980. I found it in a box in the garage in 1995 and thought it would be no good but had it processed anyway. To my surprise the slides came out perfect! Your film should be fine after 3 years.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back