Film is definately dying

Thank you for posting a link to the good news but I have to say that I personally don't appreciate posts that begin with a false or misleading headline.

You know, a lot of people only read headlines and may not read your post at all or may read it but not get the joke.

Just my opinion.

Glad it's not a dying medium. Would be a shame to lose such a beautiful method of creating images.

According to one of the few remaining Kodak vice presidents, they used to employ over 30,000 people in the manufacturing of film. Currently, they employ a little over 300 people in the manufacturing of film. And Kodak Park now has some really nice spaghetti sauce and salsa bottling going on using some of the old machinery and lines Kodak once used. But yeah, there has been a small uptick in the number of people seeking out film. So yeah...after its more than 100-fold decline, there is finally a minor uptick in demand for film in the UK...

New York Times Documentary on Kodak Clinging to a Future Beyond Film Resource Magazine

I work in a camera store, trust me, film ain't going nowhere. Sales of rolls and number for development has gone up and keeps rising. Well, not E-6......2-6 rolls a month, OUCH.

This thread from APUG pretty much says it all:

Chart of film sales 1980-2012

The total demand for ALL film worldwide, peaked in the year 2000, and has dropped like a stone since then. One of the last large uses for film was to make motion picture prints for theater distribution, but that industry is pretty much dead, and the studios have shifted to video for their feature films and for documentary production AND theaters and TV stations now are showing their offerings in digital format, off of drives. DIstributing theatrical releases in computer formats saves a ton of money.

This article has some interesting film vs digital video info.How Digital Cinema Took Over The 35mm Film The New Republic

Here's an interesting stat from the movie business, "To produce and ship a 35mm print to an American cinema costs about $1,500. Multiply that by, say, 5,000 prints for a big movie and it comes to $7.5 million. Digital formats can do the same job for 90 percent less."

$7.5 million ! This is still small change comparing to the general cost of making a "big" movie, in average $250-350 million and another 30 - 40 millions for advertising campaign. It is not the cost of making copies, it is the speed what counts for the industry, and convenience. It doesn't mean cinema is any better, just more and more special effects (digitally made, of course) to cover up flat fables. All the good movies, worth preservation are copied to film anyway. Just in case, (EMP resistant ).

For god sakes.

Not this again.

Nobody edits optically. Nobody. Not in a major film anyway (and the overwhelming majority of independent films as well). It's all scanned in, and has been for some time now. Independence Day was shot on film, so was Jurassic Park and Titanic. Aside from the techniques used in Avatar, digital capture does not make special effects more convenient or less expensive.

Thank you for posting a link to the good news but I have to say that I personally don't appreciate posts that begin with a false or misleading headline.

You know, a lot of people only read headlines and may not read your post at all or may read it but not get the joke.

Just my opinion.
It was because most on here think film is dead it maybe in the US but not in Europe

Quentin Tarentino is still using film and some of the other big film makers are still using it, when I see an old film the colours are beautiful compared to digital

Sorry you're trapped in this alternate reality. Funny but there's no quantification of "soaring demand" here. Sounds like they're simply adding a bit more b&w film alongside the HP5 and XP2 they've always carried.
Don't worry I can get any film I want

Just my opinion.
It was because most on here think film is dead it maybe in the US but not in Europe

Utterly clueless. Seems this didn't penetrate your little cotton wool world:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/Publ...ab_39_s_Mobile_Film_Processing_Laboratory.htm

Note there's a scanner in the trailer...

Time to stow the tar brush, wise up, and realize that the "US" and "Europe" are big places containing many different markets for all sorts of products, including film products and services.

Most reactions

Back