Film newbie questions

MDowdey said:
this sounds like a relatively easy process, other than getting the chems to the right temperature. here is SC, you would be hard pressed to get anything to 68deg in the summer time :)

now as far as 120 goes, same process? or a bigger tank and reel?

md

I have the same problem in Kansas. My solution is to have a jug of ice water handy to temper the water/chems.

120 just needs a reel that can handle it. The tanks are the same size.

MDowdey said:
this sounds like a relatively easy process, other than getting the chems to the right temperature. here is SC, you would be hard pressed to get anything to 68deg in the summer time :)

now as far as 120 goes, same process? or a bigger tank and reel?

md
I just looked into dev tanks (see post if interested). Some tanks take 135 and 120, some don't. Most do both I think. Some reels are for 135 only, some for 120. You can get adjustable (or universal) reels to. You can lengthen and shorten the gap in them to take either.

see, my problem is this. i have the worlds tiniest apartment. and i would love to develope my own negs and then do prints of them....BUT...thats kinda hard to do when you dont have ANY room for a darkroom. it makes me frustrated because i have to spend damn near 30 bucks everytime i want to get pan F developed at the local 'im too good for you" pro lab.

md

The reason for me developing my own b&w is so that I can check the negatives and decide which (if any) to print. I don't have a darkroom. Just a dev tank in transit.
Where I normally send my film (the local chemist) don't do b&w developing and the only place I know of to do 120 near me, although not that far away, is an inconvenience. I could always send if off to Jessops though. But at cost.

I'm all for doing stuff myself and all to.

ferny said:
The reason for me developing my own b&w is so that I can check the negatives and decide which (if any) to print. I don't have a darkroom. Just a dev tank in transit.
Where I normally send my film (the local chemist) don't do b&w developing and the only place I know of to do 120 near me, although not that far away, is an inconvenience. I could always send if off to Jessops though. But at cost.

I'm all for doing stuff myself and all to.

so what your saying is you prefer to develope(out of there being no one else) on your own and then send it to the local lab to get prints? i would do that, if it werent for the local guys here being total bitches.

md

That's the plan. The only problem is that I bought my first tank off of eBay last night and it'll take a couple of weeks to get here. :mrgreen:
It'll let me play with infrared film to (even though the tank is plastic I'll find a way). As well as doing arty stuff like adding more grain etc.

It'll all go wrong though. I'll end up addicted to chemicals and die in a horrible fire as I set fire to the bottles. I'll probably ruin every film I have a go at to.

ferny said:
That's the plan. The only problem is that I bought my first tank off of eBay last night and it'll take a couple of weeks to get here. :mrgreen:
It'll let me play with infrared film to (even though the tank is plastic I'll find a way). As well as doing arty stuff like adding more grain etc.

It'll all go wrong though. I'll end up addicted to chemicals and die in a horrible fire as I set fire to the bottles. I'll probably ruin every film I have a go at to.

now that sounds like a fun time at the ferny residence!!!

md

oriecat said:
MDowdey said:
what do the guru's think about a startup like this?

md

You won't be able to do 120 with that one, Matty. You need 120, right?

god i love it when you call me that :oops: . i would love one that will do 120, but my 35mm rangefinders are more important to me right now.

i just dont want to spend too much money if im not really going to get into it.

what did you think about that particular model, if i was to only do 35mm..

md

The thing is, do you want a tester system that only does 35mm. Or do you want one that will allow you to do 120 so you won't have to spend more later on and let you experiment a little?

If the cost increase (if there is one) is acceptable, I'd go with the one that allows 120 as well.

You can always buy a second hand one as well. It'll be cheaper and if you decide you don't like it you won't lose anything when you sell it on. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any real issues with a second hand enlarger. Other than the obvious "is it all there and working" ones.

yeah i agree with that...although it would be neat to get the kit that has all the goods with it. but they might not be good chemicals...i really want to do some "doxx" inspired stuff and do the diafine treatment. i love my digital, but sometimes it just doesnt feel like photography.

md

Just wanted to know if I am doing alright:

1. Tank
2. Changing bag
3. Thermometer

-What else do I need from here?
-Do you go after any particular brands? (I would prefer stainless steel)

Most reactions

Back