film photography quirks for a digital photographer

viridari

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
viridari.wordpress.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I really learned substantially everything I know on digital and have been transitioning that knowledge and experience to the film paradigm. This is backwards from most of the old timers and presents some of its own unique idiosyncrasies.

Tonight I took out the Minolta X-700 and left the DSLR at home.

I found myself hitting the shutter release without advancing the film / cocking the shutter. D'oh! Definitely a habit picked up from digital. I don't really have that problem with the Mamiya because it's a completely mechanical TLR and isn't operated anywhere remotely close to how a DSLR or SLR is operated. But with the Minolta SLR, I make these mistakes like it's a digital without thinking.

I think what was funnier was when people came up close to me after I took their picture and tried to look at the non-existent LCD screen to see how the picture came out. Instead of a screen they saw a piece of torn paper that said "Ilford Delta 100 Professional". :lmao: Priceless.

Wait till the roll is done, and you take it out without first rewinding it.

It's fun, isn't it?

I was in the same boat this summer, going from my digital SLR (essentially my first camera) to a 35mm camera I got on eBay with the intention of just putting the lens on the digital. I think one of my favorite things is the reaction I get from people, and how different it is from digital. In general, people seem less creeped out and more interested in what I'm doing, and I often run into older people (I'm 20) who are curious or have stories. Sometimes they even have old cameras too- I got a K1000 for $30 this way, and had an offer to sell an N90, which isn't really my thing.

Now that I shoot more film than digital, the quirks go the other way- AF freaks me out, and I find myself trying to advance the film on my K100D after I take a shot.

I think what was funnier was when people came up close to me after I took their picture and tried to look at the non-existent LCD screen to see how the picture came out. Instead of a screen they saw a piece of torn paper that said "Ilford Delta 100 Professional". :lmao: Priceless.

I've only had one person do that, that was my neice, she was seven at the time so it was understandable. :lol: All she had ever known to that point was digital point and shoots :(

I have had that same question probably 10 times in the last month with my Minolta. I also love the question, "haven't upgraded to digital yet huh"? I love it!

Nice to see some of you young'ns taking up the old film tradition.

I have been shooting film for 20 years and digital for 1.
I miss the film winding lever ... I used that to rest my thumb.

This new tech stuff is too automatic ... to easy to forget how to work with exposure.

One way to really know how to learn exposure is by shooting with manual exposure on Slide film. You will really know when you have got it all right.

I'm a young'un to some. But I've been shooting film as long I suppose. At first because it was all I had. Then because I could not afford my dream jump to digital which I would do if at all at the time. Now, I wouldn't use anything else because the film process has become so engrained in my photographic processes that I could not imagine it any other way.

Mine was about my age. sr-T101. Until I unloaded it to a friend that needed a start. See, I'm generous to a fault sometimes. But always with the provision that if they move to another camera I want it back.

Most reactions

Back