film photography

garry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just curious what you all think. Is there a future with film photography or is it destined for extinction? :(

I still use VHS. So...

Film will never die out. Well, not until the resources for it have expired (like oil for the plastic etc.). But at that time there won't be digital cameras as we know it either, for the same reasons.

You may find less and less people taking up film photography as digital cameras get heavily marketed and cheaper. But it will always be around in large numbers.

garry said:
film photography
Say it like that and it almost sounds like it's already a thing of the past. I don't know about you Matt but these Generation Digital kids sometimes make me feel like we should go the "Alternative Techniques" or "Collectors Corner" with our antiquated techniques and materials until we finally fade away along with the dinosaurs :wink:

[/sarcasm]

malachite said:
garry said:
film photography
Say it like that and it almost sounds like it's already a thing of the past. I don't know about you Matt but these Generation Digital kids sometimes make me feel like we should go the "Alternative Techniques" or "Collectors Corner" with our antiquated techniques and materials until we finally fade away along with the dinosaurs :wink:

[/sarcasm]

There is a forum where I only check out in the Darkroom section. :lol:

You all know I love this forum, but if you ever doubt that folks are still using film, check out the Analog Photography Users Group, or APUG.

www.apug.org

It's all darkroom section :D The horrible thing is, that even there people keep worrying about film vs. digital.

malachite said:
garry said:
film photography

[/sarcasm]

bwahahaha!!!!! That was good, Mike..... but, you know, no need to pounce on the newbie. From his post count, it's doubtful he spent a lot of time reading the numerous, tiresome threads here on film v. digital (that I've come to ignore). Instead of banning political discussions on this forum, I think Chase would best serve the people by banning FVD (film vs. digital) discussions. :twisted: Since reality is, as Matt once put it, film is the one true path, and we must all come to that realization in our own way. :sillysmi:

:wink:

This might just be me, but I'm 16 and I'm just learning, and I use film. I think it would be a lot easier to use digital for learning, because I get a LOT of crap photos when I do experimental things for the first time. I would like to get a DSLR until I really know what I'm doing then use film, because I like to look of film more.

It's kind of the same thing with movies. Pretty much all of the good movies still use film. Even the high end mountain bike movies use 16mm film (although the biggest biking movie company just used some hd in their newest movie :( ). Digital video is catching up and will probably take over in the lower end productions, because it is more accessable, and WAY cheaper than film. You can buy a $6000 camera and film 2 or 3 videos, but using film with $6000 wouldn't get you very far after buying the camera, film, paying for processing, transfering, etc.

Digital photography is not really caught up with film, but it is kind of troubling how many magazines are using digital. Digital is easier though, and there are a lot of lazy people.
But film is just plain cooler :wink:

Haha that was a lot of rambling :lol:

There's purpose for both. I use film exclusively only because I can't justify spending what I'd have to for a digital that I would be happy with. I'm sure I 'd still use film for some things, especially my 645 format.

Sorry, I didn't realize this was such a touchy subject. Actually I prefer b&w film photography. I just bought a digital a few months ago but I'm keeping my old Nikon F, in fact I just had it cleaned. My question wasn't whether one was better than the other but more to the point Will I still be able to buy film (all the different varieties) in the near future? I've seen a couple of camera stores go out of buisness lately that had sold a large volume of darkroom supplies & film. Obviously, I should have done a archival search on this subject before I posted. :?

Most reactions

Back