Film Photography???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until now I was mainly interested in digital photography, though now I am interested in going in to ANALOG. Can anyone point where to start? Website? Literature? Can I use my bathroom for a darkroom?:lol:
TIA

Punch yourself in the face...and go back to snapping shots with your digital. Going back to analog is like turning the keys in that goto your car and hopping on a horse.

Analog is over....

Freestyle is a really good website to buy supplies from. B and H is where I get my film from, their prices are the best I have seen (for Kodak films and Illford at least). Also search google for some info and direction. There is a lot of good information also there is a some good information on this forum as well. As for books I found Ansel Adams book series very informative. The Camera, The Negative, The Print.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions as well.

Congratulations on moving into real photography.

( don't quote me and start a argument about film and digital. It is just my opinion that film is the only true artistic form of photography. you just can't get any feeling from subjects in digital photography. It's just a cold medium. In my opinion)

How is the same picture on film any different than the same picture in digital form? I dont get it.

Going back to analog is like turning the keys in that goto your car and hopping on a horse.

A very good analogy. They are indeed two very different tools, with different strengths and weaknesses (ask the Amish about which is better, a car or a horse for example). As with anything in the world, there is no one tool that is always the best choice for all requirements - each of us must choose which tool we feel is the best choice for the task at hand...

- Randy

Going back to analog is like turning the keys in that goto your car and hopping on a horse.

A very good analogy. They are indeed two very different tools, with different strengths and weaknesses (ask the Amish about which is better, a car or a horse for example). As with anything in the world, there is no one tool that is always the best choice for all requirements - each of us must choose which tool we feel is the best choice for the task at hand...

- Randy
Indeed. Sometimes the terrain is better dealt with by a horse, and sometimes, it's just more fun to ride one. ;)

Gee, I didn't mean to start up a firestorm like this, anyway.Thanks for all this!
I have a couple of questions, if anyone is still listening:
1) What system? I was hoping that canon might have a modern film camera that would support my EF lens and the only online camera is the 1V! 1500$! I'd rather upgrade my 400D to 7D! So I looked at wikipedia and found the 30(V). I want crazy looking around for a price and found a number of 230 pounds (350 $). That camera seems to suit my needs. But is the price correct? (Still I'll also check out those local dusty second-hand shop basements. They used to have a lot of stuff.)
2)There all 35mm? I mean my sigma 10-20 DC will cause vignetting? Could it be corrected?
P.S. Still wondering if it's better to save up on an upgrade to my 400D. No. Film photography sounds more fun.

1) I have the Canon 1n. It came right before the 1v. I was just in the same position as you a few years ago. I wanted to use my canon EF lenses. The 1n is pretty much the same. I got mine on ebay for around $200. I love it! It is fully metal and fells better than any digital camera I have ever held. I am sure there are a few less buttons than on the 1v but the fun of film is to go manual and really take a photograph(not to take a image and photoshop it into a so called photograph, like with a digital camera).

My opinion is go with the 1n it cost less, is a professional camera, and it will accept your EF lenses.

2) I am not sure about this question. I do not know about lenses.

Yes film is so much more fun than digital. Trust me once you get a camera and start shooting you wont ever look back.

It's a facetious comment to illustrate the fact film is rapidly growing into an anachronism. Kodachrome is gone. Other film lines are dwindling. Processing chemicals are getting expensive. Fewer and fewer people are processing and printing.

Yeah, you could probably buy some used stuff real cheap now... even development equipment, but there's a reason why. It's at the very end of the era.

If you know anything about photography, you would know that film is making a come back, Kodak has just brought out a new colour film out

If only it were true.
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTAR 100 Film

If you know anything about photography, you would know that film is making a come back, Kodak has just brought out a new colour film out

If only it were true.

I wasn't doubting the new color film. I was doubting the comeback. Unfortunately, I neglected to delete the film verbiage. I do admit that I'm surprised at the new film introduction.

Last edited:
If only it were true.

I wasn't doubting the new color film. I was doubting the comeback. Unfortunately, I neglected to delete the film verbiage. I do admit that I'm surprised at the new film introduction.

Getting hold of film in the UK is not a problem, i have a roll of Velvia and Provia in the fridge that will probably get loaded this weekend

The OP made a simple statement that he wants to explore film. He needn't be laughed at or earnestly told that he's wasting his time.

Photographers can still use glass plates if they want. It's all personal preference. What's it to any of you?

The attacks on my perceived lack of humor have been deleted. The first reply to the OP was in no way helpful - and indeed, seems to have been made from a narrow view of all that's available in the world of photography. Digital shooters don't keep up with new film products, because it's not interesting to them. What some of them don't keep in mind is that "Not interested" in a subject doesn't make it "non-existent", okay? Why not simply be helpful and point the OP in the direction of the film forum here, Pact Supporters? :er: Don't make comments to me about how the place has gone to hell.

And the rest of the thread seems to have taken a nosedive into film v digital. *yawn* Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back