Film/Print Scanner

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by qweasdzyc, Dec 26, 2004.

1. qweasdzyc

qweasdzyc TPF Noob!

I'm looking to get a scanner that can do both prints and negatives in the $100-150 range. Most of the scanners I've read reviews for are good at prints but their negative scanning is sub-par.

However, the Canon CanoScan 8400F seems like a pretty good deal. (PC Mag review) The 4200F is a bit cheaper and seems to have similar specs, but I couldn't find any full-fledged reviews.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these models? Or perhaps theres another one in this price range you can recommend?

2. airgunr

airgunr TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    To get decent scanns of negatives or slides I personally think you'll have to look at a better quality scanner. For prints the one your thinking about will probably be OK although I know nothing about the particular model you are talking about.

If you are serious about the negatives and slides a couple to look at (although above the price range your talking about) would be the Minolta or Nikon film scanners. They are dedicated film scanners. They don't do prints. I have a Nikon Coolscan and find it an excellent scanner. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!

3. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the older model of Canoscan D 1230 UF and it does pictures as well as films from 35mm to 4x6. It's a decent scanner...err... let me put it this way: a good scanner for photos and a decent scanner at best for film. As airgunr said, you'd be better off with a dedicated film scanner, Minoltas and Nikons alike. I know they're $$$$ but a lot of people swear by them. There is another film scanner out there, kinda new, made by Plustek. I think I posted here a link to it. Worth checking it out.

::edit---> http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15179&sid=5ad1a8d9e3f0170d2d6f16b9b4fda29d

4. Mumfandc

Mumfandc TPF Noob!

I use the expensive Nikon Coolscan 5000 at my college, for all my medium format films. But at home I have a cheap Epson 1670 flatbed scanner (I use for my 35mm films) which I got for like $139.

Now and then I have 35mm scans (slides and negs) that turn out GREAT from the Epson, but high end scanners are usually always better because they have auto-focus capabilities. Might be a problem on a flat-bed scanner, which you are looking into.

5. Karalee

Karalee hOtLiPs!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the canoscan 8400F, it works great for both print and neg/slide scanning, the MF scanning takes some figuring out but overall Im pleased, I bought mine for 150 shipped from newegg.com.