film question

nomav6

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
can someone tell me the benifits of buying to more expensive film over the cheaper brand, and what to look for when buying film, both b/w and color, thanks :)

Just better quality when its printed I think, but its worth.
B/w...umm...look for a known brand.
Colour....Look for a known brand :D

Well from my experience with film the higher the price the better the quality of colours you get back... for example I shot a roll of portraits of my sister with standard cheap ISO 200 film and it looked ok but then I bought a few rolls of professional fuji portrait film and they give a much nicer skin tone than the cheap stuff.

As far as what to look for goes, it depends on what you want to shoot. A faster film results in more grain, if you want to shoot sports in low light conditions fast film is your only option, alternatively you might buy fast to use the grain artistically, it looks esp good in B&W shots. If shooting still life try and find something that gives ultra high colour saturation to really bring out the colours, but be warned it can look odd if you shoot people with it. All I can say is the film you use depends on what you are shooting.

There are crappy $8 a roll films, and fantastic $2 a roll films. You really should try some different films out and see what you prefer and what works best for you. Start out with the cheapies; you can get $2 a roll Kodak or Fuji at many grocery stores, Walmart, etc... Shoot some of that, and shoot some $6+ per roll film, and see if you notice a difference.

Much of today's consumer films were yesterday's pro films. I noticed today that Fuji consumer film packages advertise the 4th color emulsion layer that helps with odd lighting (flourescent, etc...). That was pro film only technology not too long ago.

Every brand has it's own color cast. It's all subjective. Try a few and pick the one YOU like. Some generic films are major brands. Black's in Canada for example is Fuji, Western Family is Agfa. Usually someone at the film counters of these places that sell generics know who makes them.

Walt said:
Usually someone at the film counters of these places that sell generics know who makes them.

Look at where it's made. Made in Japan, then it's Fuji. Made in Germany, then it's Agfa. Made in Hungary, then it's Forte. And it used to be made in USA, then Kodak, and made in England, then Ilford. But Kodak is making more and more outside the USA, and who knows what's up with Ilford.

Most reactions

Back