Film Question?

Polk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I was wondering if it possible to create a solid black border in the developmental process or using a filter?

First, welcome to TPF.

Second, yes it is possible, but only on the print, not really on the neg. You'd have to make something to block out all the light from the enlarger except the perimeter.

A better bet would be to buy a black mat to surround the picture and go with a slightly larger frame.

If you have your own neg carrier, you can file them out larger so that you can see the clear neg border. This will print as black. If you go far enough, you even get the sprocket holes. The double border from this print is from light reflecting off the aluminum carrier (paint it black if you don't want that).

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=583375

The image isn't mine, but I read about it in a post of Frank's on photo.net.

Double matte is definitely an easier option, but it doesn't give you the unevenness or slightly rounded corner, if that's what you like.

it is possible, but only on the print, not really on the neg. You'd have to make something to block out all the light from the enlarger except the perimeter.
Right. So if you're at the enlarger, it would be like making test strips, except for the border. So you'd first expose the print for however long it needs to be, than put something that would block the light in the center of the paper, and expose again for some astronomical amount of time, like 20 or 30 seconds seconds wide open.

Most reactions

Back