Film Recommendations Part II

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by rp1600, Sep 28, 2006.

1. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Some of this may have been answered in a previous post, but this is slightly different.

I'm specifically looking for advice on the best 35 mm film to use when shooting weddings and portraits. Both indoors and out. Black and white and color.

2. duncanp

duncanp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the best quality colour film imo is fujifilm Velvia. for B&W there is a hige variety.. depends if you want grain or not

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Velvia is know for producing very saturated colors...which is typically not what you want for weddings and/or portraits. Also, Velvia is a slide (positive) film, which has less latitude than print (negative) film. Latitude is very helpful for things like weddings.

I've always heard recommendations for Kodak Porta 160 or Fuji pro film (Superia or Reala, something like that)

4. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've heard about both, particularly Superia. From what I've read it's great even at ISO 400/800, which is something I want to move toward, particularly in less than ideal lighting situations or for effect.

5. rp1600

rp1600 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If anyone has any personal preference please pass it on. Remember, we're talking about color print film, not slide film.

6. jwkwd

jwkwd TPF Noob!

There are a few people out there that like Kodak Portra 160NC. I have not used it, but have seen very nice results from it.

7. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have also heard the Kodak Portra 160NC is good.

For B&W i would use Ilford PanF+ 50 or kodak T-max 100. (ifyou want smooth prints)

8. kman627

kman627 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Color wise Porta 160 NC is excellent. I've also had good results with Reala 100. As far as B&W I like Tri-X 320 for portraits. I've also seen good results with tmax-100. If you have plenty of light to spare, I really like Rollei Pan 25. (VERY smooth)

9. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Velvia would be a big No for me as far as weddings and portraits go... Its great for landscapes and some wildlife, but the skin tones are pretty dire, and you really want the convienience of a negative film when doing weddings etc.

I'd go with the other posts as far as Kodak Portra 160 NC is concerned - very flattering skin tones. You could also use it alongside the 160 VC if you want a bit more boost to colours for things like flowers, dresses, hats etc. If you need more speed, use the Portra 400 NC.