Film scanner help! Which one?

Lazy Photographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
lazyphotographer.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a friend who shoots only black & white film, and then scans the negatives to his computer. His scanner just pooped out and he's asked me to help him decide on a new one. He's looking at one of these two:

Epson Perfection 4490

Canon CanoScan 8800F

Can anyone offer any advice on these units or brands? Or is there another in that price bracket that might be a better option. I think he wants to keep it under $300. I did mention the Nikon scanner but he doesn't have that kind of money.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I own an epson 4490, and have no experience with the canoscan so i can't really tell you which ones better. But I am very happy with the results my 4490 offers, its a very good scanner for the price.

I just bought an Epson Perfection V750 Pro. It works very well, indeed.

I'm a fan of the epson, just make sure your film is flat and your film carrier is adjusted to the right height.

I too am quite happy with the performance of my EPSON, though I have the v700, which at slightly less than $500USD right now (Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.) is out of the OP's price range.

The 4490/v500/v600 family are still good but don't have as high a D-max (dynamic range) and lack the dual lens arrangement that, for improved film scanning, that is one of the improvements in the the v700/750 pair.

I too am quite happy with the performance of my EPSON, though I have the v700, which at slightly less than $500USD right now (Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.) is out of the OP's price range.

The 4490/v500/v600 family are still good but don't have as high a D-max (dynamic range) and lack the dual lens arrangement that, for improved film scanning, that is one of the improvements in the the v700/750 pair.

I also have the v700... it's the same as the 750 it just doesn't come with the wet-mount equipment.

Most reactions

Back