Film Scanner

A few questions. What's it for? Uploading web pics, or editing and printing? If the latter, printing at 6"x4", or larger? 35mm film only, or medium, maybe even large format too? What's your budget like?

In the meantime, here's a basic summary of your options. Nikon and Minolta among other brands offer dedicated 35mm film scanners; they probably offer better quality scans than flatbeds but the downside is you won't be able to scan medium format film or anything else. Also likely to be quite expensive. Meanwhile Canon, Epson and other companies now produce flatbeds with adapters or holders enabling you to scan 35mm as well as medium format film; as well as possibly costing less there is the advantage that you also have a good general purpose flatbed scanner.

Primary use is for scanning negatives for editing and printing. I also own an HP flatbed scanner with film scan adapter that does a "reasonable" job of scanning negatives. Just looking for something more dedicated to that purpose.
As far as budget goes, I have no idea at the moment. Just looking for what's out there.
Also i don't do any medium format scanning.

A Nikon V is a great scanner and probably easy to find. The 5000 adds some features. A Minolta 5400 is also good but it is hard to find "new."

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Most reactions

Back