Film Scanners

YoungPic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i have a bit of a noob question, ive searched the forums and couldn't find a direct answer to my question so here it is, how do film scanners work? do you feed film into them, or just prints or im confused, and if you do feed film into them does it have to be processed, this is a bit of a stupid question but some help would be great

There are basically two types you are asking about. The flat bed scanner which can scan either photographs or negatives,,, (yes they have to be processed first)

The other type is the dedicated film scanner. It scans only processed film slides or negatives. That type can, depending on the model, scan whole rolls in which case you feed it in and it auto advances, or the more common one frame at a time scanner.

The dedciated film scanner is usually considered by most to be better for film. It seems to be sharper since it is a one trick pony.

Hope this helps some. For more detailed info I would google the particular model I was interested in.

thanks for the reply, with this new found knowledge, i was thinking about a dedicated film scanner, and recommendations? no budget for now

Well open a window on ebay for film scanner and one for google. Check the scanner then the google info on it.

If you are good with computer or your computer has a scsi card that is where the deals are now. I bought an old but working perfectly minolta scanner that the guy had in his closet for years. It went for peanuts and I mean under fifty bucks peanuts because it was scsi.

Not many people stay with scanner and film most move on to digital cameras. They pick up the scanner to get their slides and old negs on digital then store it in the closet "just in case". that seems to be what I hear anyway.

Most reactions

Back