Film sharper than digital?

C_lawgik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Onmy digital rebel I was noticing that my pictures werent too sharp. I figured it was the lens. BUt today i put the same lens on my 35mm rebel adn it seemed to be alot sharper. Could there be something worng with my digi or is film just sharper?

Digital requires a certain amount of post process work to be at its best. Properly sharpened digital prints can be just as sharp as film prints. It's all in the details after the shot is taken.

hmm I think it may depend on ISO... but not sure about it... I found my shots on iso 1600 much sharper than those on iso 100

mentos_007 said:
hmm I think it may depend on ISO... but not sure about it... I found my shots on iso 1600 much sharper than those on iso 100

There's no reason that ISO would increase sharpness on it's own. What's more likely is that the higher ISO increased your shutter speed, and it was this that increased sharpness. Too low a shutter speed causes blurry pics.

I've had a problem with sharpness on my Dig Rebel too. I think I've narrowed it down to a smudge on the sensor - or rather that protective lens in front of it to be more accurate. I get kind of a halo effect around objects. I just ordered the SensorSwab stuff - I'll let you know how it works.

Ant said:
There's no reason that ISO would increase sharpness on it's own. What's more likely is that the higher ISO increased your shutter speed, and it was this that increased sharpness. Too low a shutter speed causes blurry pics.
if its not well lit.. i use 50 asa film all the time and my photos are tack sharp

PreludeX said:
if its not well lit.. i use 50 asa film all the time and my photos are tack sharp
I'm usually concerned more about grain than sharpness when looking at ISO numbers. And isn't 50 ISO film going pretty much extinct because of higher speed films rivaling the quality (grain and sharpness) of the slower ones?? But then there's the developer you use...

anyway, the film IS shaper than a CCD, it is a a secret for nobody. If you imagine that every silver crystal that you can find on a film is the same thing as a pixel on a CCD, you'll understand very well that there is there is much more sensible agent on a film than on a CCD sensor (a film is just like around a
200 megapix sensor, if we follow this idea!)

Conclusion : if you want sharp photos, take a film camera (medium format is best!!)

Got the sensor swab and eclipse stuff. Seemed to work fine! Still have to watch the bightness setting on the Rebel to make sure that you get fine details but the sensor swab stuff seemed to help.

There is an article in this month's Popular Photography that compares the Canon 1Ds II (17.2 MP on a full size sensor) to iso 100 film. They compared resolution, noise/grain, color accuracy etc. While both have their strong points, the Canon was rated just a little better than the film.

So you see, your digital Rebel still has a way to go...to catch up to film. However, you should be able to get great prints from you D Rebel.

Many people that buy a dSLR are dissapointed at first - claiming it takes soft images. All digital images need to be sharpened whether scanned or by digital camera. dSLRs have in camera corrects, sharpening values etc. I for one shoot RAW and look at how the image processes with no sharpening and then see what kind of USM the image can actually take which is a much better approach than sharpening every image you take a certain amount before you even inspect the image.

Yep, my 20D outputs soft images, but after using the unsharp mask in photoshop, they look extremely sharp. its the only way I know of to sharpen them right now, besides the parameter setting in the cameras menu.

Most reactions

Back