Film SLR

I don't know. BIG mirror. It might be more hassle to use than a view camera.

If small statured ladies like Imogene Cunningham and Margaret Bourke White can handle them, I won't have much problem. :) I've actually had a chance to hold and fool around with a junked Graflex RB. It seemed easier to hand hold than my Speed Graphics. It was a lot like holding a big TLR. For me the attraction of a 4x5 SLR over a view camera is hand held work. I'd be interested in a 4x5 TLR, like the Gowlandflex, but it actually seems a lot bigger than the Graflex RB's.

Photo of Margaret Bourke White with 4x5 SLR. Damn! She's sexy!! I couldn't find any pics of Imogene with her 4x5 SLR online, but I've seen them.

http://www.outofrange.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/graubnermargaret.jpg

I almost bought a fully reconditioned Graflex RB Super D two years ago. It looked like new. I ended up spending the money on my first DSLR, and looking back, I have to say that was the right decision, but at the time I couldn't believe I was passing up the 4x5 SLR for a DSLR. :) Now my goal is to find a junker 4x5 SLR for significantly cheaper (under $500), and fix it up myself.

If I won the lottery I'd go after a Ron Wisner 4x5 SLR. They are beautiful!

http://www.wisner.com/freedom.htm

In the seventies I did some work for a local police department.

In the process I saw their surplus action items first. That department never sold anything from their crime lab, such as it was in those days. The new lab director finally cleaned out the storage closet. They sold a graphic 4x5 view it is the one you are talking about I'm sure. Film holders on the back and all.

I probably could have bought it for a dollar but I had no sense of photo history back then.

I have 4 and I use them to take pictures since I do not "own" a digital camera. Black and White is my favorite medium.

Rusty Tripod

Thanks for the input everyone. Trouble is it’s only compounded the problem. I’ve started looking on eBay at some manual SLR’s. God knows what the wife will say.

I have Minolta Maxxum 70 and Flexaret V and in school I use hasselblad I use these for school purpose as well as for personal stuff... yeaaaahhhh i like film it rocks!!! lol :blushing:

I use a Canon EOS 888 for just about half of my photography work, the other half being my digital compact. I'm currently about to switch to DSLRs, but will still use it. Only downfall I would say with this camera is that I'm finding it expensive to develop the film and the batteries cost £15 each here out of Jessops, but I could probably find them cheaper.

Blair

I still have a Canon EOS 100, as others saidbefore me, these things are for photographing :p There is no particular field I use it for.

And then there are several non-digital cameras in my collection, but they are not SLRs.

I have a bunch -- Canon EOS system, some oldies that function well, including a Canon FTb with a 28mm lens (and the meter still works!). But of all of them, I love my 2 Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Super B's -- one chrome, one black -- the black one with the tricky magazine back. Very satisfying to use, and small enough to be useful in street work. Still haven't gone beyond a pocket-sized p&s for digital.

Nikon FE2
Nikon FG
Vintage (1962) Voigtlander Bessamatic SLR

I still enjoy shooting film and use it for about half of my work. (I have a Nikon D80 for digital.)

Three Hasselblads, a Korelle, a Graflex National Series II, a Canon AE1, a Pentax PZ-20 and PZ-10. I use one of the Hassy cameras and the Pentax PZ-20. I only shoot film.

Still have a bunch. Most are P&S ones that still work fine but I mostly use my Nikon FM2n and F5. The only digital we have it my wife's camera and a camcorder.

99% of my photos are done on 35mm. If I want to e-mail or work on them on the computer I have a Scanner to digitize them.

Oh for Gods sake you guys, You are talking about a damn camera for crying out loud... Get a life you lot.... It is only a box to put film through, and look what happened to film. Everyone said it would never be replaced by digital, but now the quality of digital is driving the developement of glass to do it justice.....

Must go now as my X-700 triplets have started to cry and I think they want there pillow moveing.
(If you read this don't read out loud if you own an X-700 or two)... (r three).

Digital cameras are VERY good. but they just don't quite FEEL like a film camera.....
dare I say that one is Science and the other is Art..... Well you know what I mean...

not saying that Sam has opened a can of worms... But this one could run for a while .... couldn't it.

I have a Nikon FE with the MD-12 motor drive attached. I hardly use it anymore. The only time I use it is when I need to go really wide, than I put my 18-35 on it. I used it just the other day infact for a nude photo shoot assignment.

Most reactions

Back