Film Student

i found a Ritz camrea shop...idk if they have used stuff but i never knew that they were there

I'm sorry 1986, but in my opinion you'd be an idiot for buying another camera body that's not using the Canon EF mount. If you buy a Canon SLR with the EF mount, you'd be able to use that lens on your Rebel. 'Nuff said.

I didn't even spot that. Yes, you've already bought into the Canon EF mount for digital so it would make a lot of sense to buy an EOS film SLR.

I'm sorry 1986, but in my opinion you'd be an idiot for buying another camera body that's not using the Canon EF mount. If you buy a Canon SLR with the EF mount, you'd be able to use that lens on your Rebel. 'Nuff said.
not necessarily. in my opinion, an obsolete mount system could bring quite some satisfaction for little money. good canon EF lenses don't come cheap (except maybe for the 50/1.8) and the EF-S 18-55 can't be used on a film body. from this point of view it might as well be a matter of the lenses he has for the digital body. of course my opinion is a little biased by my love for mechanical cameras :p

Would that be the Jupiter 85/2 ? :wink: you are right about the bokeh, wonderful piece of glass.

In the words of Columbo, just one more thing: The Super-Takumars were M42 screw-mount lenses, not K-mount bayonet ones (though they can be used with Pentax K-mount SLRs with an adapter, as they can on Canon EOS or Minolta/Sony A-mount systems (but not Nikon or AFAIK Olympus).
it seems i've started my journey on this forum with quite a few mistakes... :blushing: my bad! sorry!

about the takumars, all i knew is that they were pentax, very well regarded lenses. i assumed they were on pentax bayonet. forgot all about the M42 era. :mrgreen:

and yes, i meant jupiter 85/2. is the jupiter 135 a f2.8? or a f3.5?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
thanks! glad to be here! ;)

I expect the Jupiter 135mm is f/3.5 but could be wrong.

As you said there are good reasons for going for an 'obsolete' mount too, at least for lenses if not for the body. Personally I like the fact that I can use M42 lenses with my more modern Minolta or Pentax systems (especially since good primes like the Jupiter and the Takumars can be found much cheaper than modern AF lenses) and since they will work with an adapter on the Canon EF mount there could definitely be an advantage in checking out some M42 gear.

@1986: if your signature is corect, it seems that your only lens won't fit a film EOS body. for the price of a new canon EF 50/1.8 you could buy at least a pentax mx and 50/1.7 from ebay (you should keep an eye on the offers there - i just made a quick and unattentive selection)

and remember! there's nothing like a good-old manual camera :D (please don't shoot me!)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
thanks for the ebay listings

Well, I have no idea if it would work, but I have a rebel 2000 with the 28-80mm lens on it that I could seel to ya for $75. Works great for a student ( I got it for my first photo class). I do not know if the lens works on the XT though. I switched to Nikon becasue of my D50. I can sedn you pictures of it if you want.

I have a Pentax K1000 with a 55mm lens on it in the closet I'd be willing to sell ya cheap, $75 shipped USA.

I'd sugest you also get a hand held meter becuase most old cameras used mercury batteries that aren't avalable any more so the built in meters don't work properly. Also most 30 year old camera built in meters are generally dead, it's rare you find em sill working.

e-mail me if you are interested?

Paul NYC

Most reactions

New Topics

Back