Film to Digital?

stormbind

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As some of you know I just started shooting medium format. Anyway I am considering selling my medium format camera and getting a digital. I would very much like to take macro pictures and I don't beleive that my current camera will do this.

My question is do digital cameras offer the resolution of a medium format camera? Can I make as large prints that are sharp and crisp with a digital camera?

I am sure that there are lots of people out there that have made the switch and I would really appericate your comments...good or bad.

Oh and Merry Christmas!!

nick-

stormbind said:
My question is do digital cameras offer the resolution of a medium format camera? Can I make as large prints that are sharp and crisp with a digital camera?
The answer to this is quick and simple: No
As far as resolution quality, digital is only about a half of step behind 35mm. Digital is still very far behind MF. But before my reply seems to dimiss digital, what size prints are you looking to make? Digital may well suit your needs depending on the answer of that question. From a workflow point of view a digital is an invaluble tool if that is what you need it for. The following images were done with a Fuji S2 dslr, Nikon PB-4 bellows and a 105mm Nikkor lens. The quality and detail is great, but its limitations are how well those features will maintain making large prints. These images came off of the camera in jpeg format 32x21 inches @72dpi. For a digital, you can't knock it!

DSCF0181Medium.jpg

DSCF0179Medium.jpg

DSCF0186Medium.jpg

This is mostly my hobby. I did a few weddings a while back with an Elan 2E but that was a long time ago. As you know I own a rollieflex 2.8f and am a little frustrated with no ability to take macro photos. I am also starting to think that the rollei is more of a collector's camera than something that I would want to lug around to take photos with. Please correct me if I am wrong.

For MF I use a Bronica ETR which is 6x4.5 and a Mamiya RB 67. Both of which are more similar in function and handling to a 35mm slr then your rollei. There are people who love them, but I am more used to the slr feel then the tlr config. My friends think they are too much camera to carry around compared to their digitals, but the weight and the feel of the equipment is one of the things I like about them. They make fun of me whenever I have to reach for a new roll of film, but their jaws drop when they see the quality of the enlargements I get of the same scene compared to the digitals. They are so used to just looking at the images on monitors when they get home that they loose all conception of the printed product. They don't even go out with me anymore when I take the large format camera out. hehe

Digital is all relative. There is digital that's better than MF.

How much are you willing to spend?

Due to the inability to go to sleep I decided to check the forum :-/

Doc unfortunately I am not a wealthy person. If I was to go digital I would be selling the Rollei and using the money from that to get a digi. I guess that would give me about $1500 to spend on a new camera (only beacuse I have the origional box...and everything including the leather case is in brand new condition)

I don't see a need for making a print larger than 60" x 60" for me anytime soon. I know absoultly nothing about digital so I dont even know if this kind of enlargment can even be had with a digital in that price range.

stormbind said:
I don't see a need for making a print larger than 60" x 60" for me anytime soon. I know absoultly nothing about digital so I dont even know if this kind of enlargment can even be had with a digital in that price range.
WOW

That's like 2 by 2 meters!

At that size MF is definitely going to be better and show itself. The maximum I've done is 20*24 and they look very good.

Digital these days, like Dave D mentioned, is about half a step behind its film counterpart, but is pretty darn close. That is to say, a digital SLR with a 35mm-sized sensor is going to be close, but not quite equivalent to the quality of 35mm film. Of course this is all subjective, but that is what my general impression is. So the answer to your question is that no, a 35mm DSLR is not going to be near the quality of MF film. But then again, your original question asked just about digital cameras, and didn't actually specify 35mm Digital. So to fully answer, it's important to note that there are Medium Format digital cameras out there that will have the kind of resolution you're looking for. But they cost a LOT.

Well I have decided to stick with the film and wait on digital. Mostly because of the image quality...and I love the smell of a fresh roll of film :D

Thanks for you help once again guys,

nick-

I think you should not sell your rollei(flex?) at all. You might have to wait longer but save up. I'd say you'll miss it after a while.

Yeah I think you are right about that, I'm not going to sell it. So the word of the day is: SAVE :er:

stormbind said:
Yeah I think you are right about that, I'm not going to sell it. So the word of the day is: SAVE :er:

And wait too, it's only a question of time.
It wasn't that long ago that a 1Mb camera was hot stuff, there are digital backs available now for MF cameras but the cost is stratospheric and they're still lagging way behind film but again, it's only a question of time.

When I sold my Canon 10d it wasn't so much the resolution that I didn't like, as the dynamic range. It will be interesting to see how long it takes the digital camera manufacturers to match the range that b&w film can give you. I've gone back to 35mm and will use it for as long as possible, but when I see what is possible with MF I must say I'm tempted.

Thomsk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back