Film to Digital?

I've heard but not verified that the Canon 5D has a much improved dynamic range. Has anyone here given this camera a good testing that can verify this?

photogoddess said:
I've heard but not verified that the Canon 5D has a much improved dynamic range. Has anyone here given this camera a good testing that can verify this?
It doesn't differ much from 300D in terms of DR

I think you made the right decision sticking with film. If you happen to be immensely rich then you may as well go for a medium format digital camera, but DSLRs are another matter if you want genuinely large print sizes. Personally I'm waiting for 22-megapixel models to become affordable:mrgreen:. Could take a while, I know, but 6-megapixels just isn't enough for me. Therefore I'm going to follow the same strategy I do with my computer hardware, and wait until the technology becomes better and cheaper. Admittedly there will always be something better around the corner, but personally I'll be happy when the image quality with large prints or crops is equal to 35mm. So for overall image quality, I'm sticking with film...

... on the other hand... I have just ordered myself a 7mp compact digital. I'm well aware that the image quality in compacts is well below that of DSLRs, but then so is the cost. I won't be able to get any poster-sized prints with it, nor will I have the level of exposure control that I like, but at least it'll be there for when I need to have that shot, because even with my trusty Olympus 35mm compacts I can't know for sure whether it was correctly exposed, or whether something might possibly go wrong in developing... so I'm now waiting for my Sony to arrive. This brings me onto a slightly different subject. I have just ordered a Sony camera. Yet I hate Sony. My Sony MP3-CD player is so poorly designed it defies belief. Sony's digital walkmans don't use MP3s and force you to use their software, and Sony is utterly incapable of ever producing a piece of software that works. Finally, my new camera when it arrives will require a proprietary memory format which won't work with any other digital cameras. And still I've bought their camera. The digital age is truly frightening for a film-lover. Some of the best non-SLR digitals are made by Sony, Panasonic... even Casio! A Casio camera, I still can't get my head around it. A Casio is either an ugly watch, or what kids use in school to view the number 5318008 upside down, not a camera! I'm disoriented and confused... and I still can't believe I'm buying a camera from Sony. Oh well, I'll let you know how it works out.

Finally, since I haven't been on here in months, I'll just say I hope everyone's well, and that you all had a good christmas. My message over, you may now stand for the national anthem :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back