Film - what kind to use.

Jasmine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am a total photo nut but am just really starting to take it seriously now. I will be starting to take courses on how to use my SLR camera properly and not just the autofocus and so forth. My question is that when I am practising what film do I use, do I use a photographers film or do I stick with the usual point and shoot film? Any help would be great.

Thanks

Jasmine

Film is such a personal preference... I generally like kodak and their hi-def line ( I still miss their now discontinued royal gold ) is a good middle ground. I've even purchased slightly date expired film real cheap from camera stores and had excellent results.

you will most likely be shooting black and white for your photo class, so for that I'd suggest Kodak's TMAX 100 (if you dont like grain), or TMAX 400 or TRI-X 400 if you dont mind a little grain. Tri-X has a better range of tones than TMAX does, but the negs are grainier. You may want to try Ilford HP5, which is similar to TMAX i believe, and slightly cheaper.

Im in a class right now as well, just started developing BW and have done one roll of TMax 400 and it came out great. Shooting Illford HP5 right now, will let you know how it fairs next wednesday night :D

Ive gone thru five roll of Kodak MAX 200 with absolutely wonderful results.

Most reactions

Back