Film?

Uselessdreamer1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
photobucket.com
What kind of film do you use? And how much doesn it cost? What is the best? I just bought some kodak black and white, i hope its good, can anyone suggest what film to use to me? thanks!

That's like asking someone what you should eat.
Ask 50 photographers and you'll like as not get 50 different answers.
It's all a matter of personal preference combined with intended use.
Check out the FAQ's about film and speed.
There are several major film manufacturers and lot's of cheap own brands. But Kodak, in my opinion, is the best.
If you are just starting out though I'd consider going cheap for a bit. The results will be just as good for learning purposes and the financial burden is less if you cock up. Here in the UK I used to start students on Jessops own brand - less than half the price of Kodak. I'm sure that someone can recommend the US equivalent.
Now be prepared as this thread could turn into another Nikon v Canon debate....

I am personally am a fuji girl when it comes to color, although I love the kodak portra stuff too. Try a bunch, see what you like, different strokes for different folks and that....

For color I prefer Agfa. I usually buy it at the local grocery store under the Western Family label.

portra
reala
superia-cheaper
anything ilford for black and white

m
d

Big Yellow(kodak) is good food ecspecially the porta series but I'm with Kara. Fugi is my fav for color and Ilford for B&W. mmmmm....tasty! :D

Also film type depends on what yer gonna be shooting. Some cater to more vivid colors, while others have stronger film grain- while some black and white film will be c-41 processed and give a sepia tone the pro black and white is a grayscale...just remember the cheap walmart fugi 35mm(like the 5 for $4) is not very good film...it's for the cattle...keep to the pro stuff.

new question should film be refrigerated? i went to out to our local camera store, and all thir film was refrigerated? maybe it keeps it fresh. haha.

Uselessdreamer1 said:
new question should film be refrigerated? i went to out to our local camera store, and all thir film was refrigerated? maybe it keeps it fresh. haha.

Actually, it does help to keep it fresh. I think certain types are more important to refridgerate than others. Someone posted something about films...maturity, I think it was, recently. Maybe that person can come along again and enlighten us.

i am a big fan of kodak t max, the silver halide is shaped in a "T" so you get a much finer grain and a much crisper picture as aposed to the normal round grain shape. ilford delta also has the same idea of different shaped halides to get a finer grain, but i havent used it. both will cost more but the results are great.

All Professional film should be kept refrigerated - especialy colour. Film characteristics change over time and refrigerating minimises this. Amateur film is designed to be stored at room temp.
All films should, however, be kept refrigerated if the ambient temp is over 24C.
Film kept in the freezer (-18 to -25C) will safely keep for over a year.
The film should be protected from moisture so sealing in plastic bags before refrigerating is essential. And you must allow plenty of time for the film to warm to room temperature before use.
Exposed film should also be kept refrigerated unless it is going to be processed immediately.
If anyone is realy interested in the technical reasons for this use my PM box.

At the moment I'm using Ilford ISO 100 B&W and Fuji Superia X-tra ISO 400 color. But again, it all depends on what you're going to use the film for.

Most reactions

Back