Filter as lense protection?

Lens hoods, while handy, can also get in the way of flash pictures if you are using a camera's built in flash. If you are using a big-bomber-blitz-o-matic on the hot shoe, it makes no difference.

Oh, and by the way, it is LENS, not LENSE.------------------------------------------------------------------

Although the variant spelling “lense” is listed in some dictionaries, the standard spelling for those little disks that focus light is indeed “lens.”

I have some nasty scars on a few of my uv filters, I can live easier with a slight degradation of I.Q, than I can with fitting a new front element in my glass.

I have no issue with the singular spelling of having only one "e", but the plural must surely contain two.

Forget the filter.....Use a lens hood.....protects against flare, rain etc and against breakage.

Yeah but it assumes you're bumping it against something flat and not something pointy like the edge of a chair. Like the act of bumping itself it is not something I can control and not something I would want to risk or wish upon anyone.

Better safe then sorry IMO because I lack money to replace my lenses :(

Another newbie question, how do I know which UV Filter size to buy? I got the DX 18-135mm kit lens. I tried to google it but seems all I can find is info about pool filters LOL even with "digital camera" in the search string :grumpy:

Look on the lens for a circle with a line through it and a number next to it. Thats the "size" filter you need. I have a 50MM prime, and it needs size 52mm filters. From googling it looks like yours is 67mm.

How about going to one your local "ye olde camera shoppes". Not the big box electronic stores, they can read specs almost as good as I can, but an actual camera shop. Develop a rapport with a local, it's good for the economy. Some are chocked full of information and can give individual advice, time and attention...lots of it, when you visit off-peak hours. If you can't work with them on price, then go surfing. Of course, every now and then you should, at the very least, throw them a bone...say like purchasing a $20 filter. I think this forum is fantastic to get advice, but a face-to-face is hard to beat.

How about going to one your local "ye olde camera shoppes". Not the big box electronic stores, they can read specs almost as good as I can, but an actual camera shop. Develop a rapport with a local, it's good for the economy. Some are chocked full of information and can give individual advice, time and attention...lots of it, when you visit off-peak hours. If you can't work with them on price, then go surfing. Of course, every now and then you should, at the very least, throw them a bone...say like purchasing a $20 filter. I think this forum is fantastic to get advice, but a face-to-face is hard to beat.

I completely agree. Exact thing I've done with the local mom and pop music store, they love me down there :D I just like to have some semblance of knowledge before I go in, you know? I'm sure it's all in the manual, but the D80 hasn't arrived just yet :( 1 more day :thumbup:

Forget the filter.....Use a lens hood.....protects against flare, rain etc and against breakage.

A hood protects against all but the latter! just hit a rock with some pointy shape ... or what is more common, some branches of trees or other plants, they easily reach past the hood onto the glass. for rough outdoor i really would suggest some extra glass (plus the hood anyway). The only lens I do not use a filter on, is my 300mm prime since it has a cheap flat piece of optical glass in the front anyway, which could be cheaply replaced .

I don't have a filter on my recently purchased $69USD Fifty 1.8. The point of a $69 lens is that it's a $69 lens ... why put a $20 filter on it and give it some real value.

Gary

I purchased my D80 with a 18-55mm kit lens and added the 55-200mm VR to supplement the focal length I was after. Both have a 52mm filter size. I got a UV for both (clean the outside of the lens and the inside of the filter and never take it off) and a circular polarizer to swap between them (sunglasses for your lens).

I don't have a filter on my recently purchased $69USD Fifty 1.8. The point of a $69 lens is that it's a $69 lens ... why put a $20 filter on it and give it some real value.

Gary

LOL.... I had to laugh at this because I had bought a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm lens on it for 12.95 or something at a thrift store when I saw it had a Tiffen filter on it. I think the lens is better than the camera.

LOL.... I had to laugh at this because I had bought a Canon AE-1 with a 50mm lens on it for 12.95 or something at a thrift store when I saw it had a Tiffen filter on it. I think the lens is better than the camera.

lol ... yeah ... same concept of "value"

Most reactions

Back