Filter for Snow/Alaska Trip??

bbaker35

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I think I may be going on a cruise to Alaska this summer, and I am super excited! I also live about 20 minutes from a ski resort in the mountains, so I find myself shooting in the snow alot.

I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with any information as to a filter that may help me in a snowy (bright and mostly white) setting. I currently have a UV filter, Cir Polarizer and a Warming filter for my Canon 17-55mm 2.8 IS.

I honestly have no idea as to if there is any filter that may help, but I thought that I should ask.

If there is no filter that may be able to help me, then I have another question... I have a $100 B&H gift card that I got for Christmas and would like to use it on an accessory to take with me to Alaska. (BTW...I already have enough memory) Could anyone think of anything else that may be able to help me there??

Thanks Again for all your help.

Ben

You have all the filters you need. Just remember to overexpose by about a stop and a half when shooting a scene with lots of snow.

If anything, consider putting the $100 towards a telephoto zoom, in case you see some wildlife you'd like to get closer to.

Well, here's an in-advance welcome to our great state. I take it you'll be cruising the Inside Passage?

The polarizer should come in handy for the usual scenes and for saturating color in the glacial ice...should your cruise bring you near any. I second Jeremy's recommendation on exposing ice and snow...and for the telezoom. Depending on where your travels take you, you could encounter critters like sea otters, puffins, bald eagles, whales (gray, orca, beluga, et al), sea lions, moose, bears, salmon, etc. It'd be a pity not to be able to reach out and capture 'em.

Oh...and both you and your gear should be prepared for rain. Much of the Alaskan Panhandle is covered by the Tongass National Forest...a temperate rain forest.

I’m going to pass on snow issue not that much knowledge. The only time I shot any snow the camera was in auto white balance and jpg mode. They can out nice dumb luck maybe?

The B&H gift card: more memory cards, a flash drive with display ($300-400), monopod, extra batteries, blow bulb, sensor cleaning kit

Most reactions

New Topics

Back