Filter Query

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by keedokes, Apr 17, 2007.

1. keedokes

keedokes TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi, I've been lurking around here for a bit and learning loads, but now I have a query of my own. :)

I just got a new lens for my AE-1 (I had been nicking my mom's until she bought me the camera body for Christmas) and had a heck of a time finding a UV filter and lens cap to fit it. Turns out there's an interior ring that it fits on...anyway, that's not the point. The point is that I went into Mike Crivello's and asked for a UV filter, we putzed around and found on that fit, and I just got home. With a Tiffen Haze-1 filter. (My toddler was distracting me and I didn't notice what we fit on there until I got home and put her down for a nap.)

I could be wrong, but don't I want just the plain UV for all-around work? Won't the Haze-1 affect my indoor shots? And won't it affect blue?

It won't be a problem exchanging it if I got the wrong one, I just want to know if I should exchange it before I get too far with it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

Typically, UV filters are use only for protection of the lens. They don't really have much effect on the image (not that I've seen anyway). It's just one more piece of glass in front of the film/sensor. That's why I don't usually use a UV filter.

I would suggest getting a Polarizing filter instead. This will make a nice difference in your outdoor shots, but should probably not be used indoors or when it's getting dark outside.

3. keedokes

keedokes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right, I wanted a little more protection for my lens, and that is why I was looking for a UV Filter. I guess what I'm asking is, is the Haze-1 going to affect my shots in any way? I'm not to the point where I feel comfortable playing around with the effects of filters, so...

4. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure about the Haze-1. You should be able to dig something up with Google.

Still, my recommendation is to forget about the UV filter...even as protection...Unless you are protecting a very expensive lens. Some people don't leave home without them...so it's a personal choice.

5. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If I'm not mistake, UV filters are often called haze filters because they tend to remove the fine haze you see off in the distance of landscape shots.

The polarizer is a great idea if you like blue skies and bold colors, but you do loose some light with that filter, so you wont use it indoors.

6. RacePhoto

RacePhoto TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You are correct. A Haze filter is just another name for a UV filter.

7. keedokes

keedokes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Then, what's the difference between Tiffen's Haze-1 and it's UV-Protector? They still make both of them...

Also, does Tiffen vs Kenko have a difference in quality?

8. keedokes

keedokes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    PS RacePhoto, who's camel? I used to work for a guy who had a lot of exotics (including camels) in Southeastern WI...

9. bencze

bencze TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I always thought that:
    1) UV filters are supposed to filter UV wavelength - not sure why is that good for. since quite a while lens coating does the same so UV filters are used just to protect lenses
    2) Haze filters are supposed to eliminate / reduce the reflections (or whatever) caused by dust / humidity particles in the air - in situations when you take a photo of something far away (landscape for ex)

I have no idea about the physics of these so it might be the same but these are the 2 'definitions' I remember, at least translated for my mind.

10. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

1. All glass filters UV to an extent. UV filters are plain, clear optical glass. They do filter a tiny bit of UV light but not nearly as much as your lens does. It is a lens protector and nothing else.

2. Haze is another name for either UV (0) or Skylight (1A) depending on the manufacturer. A Skylight is like a UV filter but has a very slight pinkish or warming tint. View it as another lens protector without enough tint to really produce warmth in the color temperature like a color compensating filter would.

11. Torus34

Torus34 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If it's lens protection you want, the filter you have will do nicely and will not affect your images to a noticeable degree.

With regard to different brands, you might get some differences in halo effects between brands when shooting images which include the sun or very bright lights, depending on the specific filter coatings. Other than that, you will probably see no difference in A:B comparisons.

12. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    UV filters do just that and are really important for film because film is more sensitive to it than digital. Really bright sun will play hell in a beach or snow scene for instance.

If you have small children you definitely want the extra protection. You would think that having something in front of your lens would degrade you photo but the lens itself is glass and the filter is glass and it's a Lot easier to make a clear piece of flat glass than it is a lens so a good quality filter will make no noticeable difference. How good is yours? Put your camera on a tripod and take a picture with it on and then take it off and take another. Always test for yourself otherwise you will never really know. ;)

mike