Filter Question

carolinasoutdoor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.carolinasoutdooor.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Sony A300 with a 18-70MM lense. I'm interested in getting a few filters mainly to knock down on the haze that we tend to have on these humid days in the south. This is probably a dumb question but is there any particular size that I need? I've notice on B&H that they differ from 30mm up to 72mm. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. :thumbup:

Yes, on your lens it should say what filter size it accepts.

If it's this lens, then you'll need a 55mm filter.

Just for some light reading on filters, try this.

All in all, don't get cheap filters. Either get a good quality multi-coated one or do without. That's just my opinion. Brands that stand out are B+W and Hoya.

If it's this lens, then you'll need a 55mm filter.

Just for some light reading on filters, try this.

All in all, don't get cheap filters. Either get a good quality multi-coated one or do without. That's just my opinion. Brands that stand out are B+W and Hoya.
Thanks for the link.

Usually the back of your lens cap will also say the size, FYI.

But you can remove ALLOT more haze in photoshop than any filter ever could! They only help a tiny bit.

I use a Circular Polarizer quite abit and, have Nikons Clear glass protector for when I dont. I live in Az and have to deal with alot of dust.

At what cost?:thumbdown:

At absolutely no cost at all if you mean image quality! If you mean $ then still no cost at all.

I can almost always produce far far FAR better results with software than with a glass or acetyl cellulose filters. And not only that but unlike a filter I can undo the changes. There are few exceptions to this. The few I can think of are a good polarizer, an Infra Red (IR) filter, or a neutral density (ND) filter.

We are talking about digital cameras here right?

Most reactions

Back