Filter question

Hooker771

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I generally keep an UV filter on my camera at all times. When im outdoors and in need of a polarizing filter can I simply add on a PLD filter on top of the UV rather than take it off? Will there be adverse or a different effect with both filters on at the same time?

Are there other combinations of filters you all like to use to produce a different effect?

Yeah you can put one on the other. You couldn't if you had a fisheye like a 8mm but you probably don't have to worry about that.

Nope. this is just on the Canon XS Kit lens.

When you 'stack' filters, you run the risk of vignetting if the filters stick out far enough to creep into the image.

Also, stacking filters (especially cheap ones) can cause lens flare in some situations.

The more pieces of glass you go through the more likely your image quality and sharpness will be reduced.

To be honest, you can probably ditch the UV filter altogether.

I use the UV filter just to be on the lens at all times for scratches and such, not so much for effect. Is there a better all around filter to "keep" on the lens?

I use the UV filter just to be on the lens at all times for scratches and such, not so much for effect. Is there a better all around filter to "keep" on the lens?

Yes. A clear glass protector filter. However, since you already own the UV filter, you might as well continue to use it. The "UV" aspect doesn't help you but it also doesn't hurt. For me, I put on a protector only if I have reason to expect disgusting stuff splashed against my lens. More often than not, it's off.

Most reactions

Back