Filter Question

Richard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raeelle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What does it mean if the filter is has a single or a double thread? My guess is that it has threads on both sides to stack, but I'm not sure if that is correct. Thanks.

Stacking filters can cause vignetting. Multiple layers of extra glass, in spite of today's advanced coatings, can rob your images of contrast or otherwise degrade the image.

You can stack filters off the camera for storage and portability purposes but the real reason for the threads on the outside of the filter is to accomodate a screw-in lens hood.

The question of quality only comes into play when you really start viewing images at their maximum zoom or print them at their maximum size. If you intend to print them 8x12 or view them on a screen without zooming in, then things that many people are paranoid about (stacking filters, or using focal length multipliers) just doesn't affect the quality of the final image.

You can stack filters off the camera for storage and portability purposes but the real reason for the threads on the outside of the filter is to accomodate a screw-in lens hood.

Or possibly a threaded lens cap. :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back