Filter questions...

Have to put this here as I cannot seem to find how to start my own thread?? Anyway, I am going to start using COKIN, filters where needed, as in GND. Question is, will ONE holder do for 77 to 52 filters? Or, must I get a holder for each lens?
There are three parts. Part one is the lens adapter, this is a metal ring that screws into the front of the lens. If you have lenses with different filter sizes, then you will want different sized lens adapters (or just get the biggest size and a step-up ring).
The second part is the filter holder. The filter holder attaches to the lens adapter, and it will attach to any size lens adapter (as long as it's the same 'A, P or X' size).
The third part is the filter itself, which slides into the filter holder.

I would assume that you can buy them in kits, but I'm not sure. I'd recommend checking out some used camera stores or E-bay etc. Filters are much less popular now, than they were when film was king.

that is the setup i got for the filter holder. the holder is a 2 part set the lens adaptor and the holder that goes on that. still waiting for china ebay shippers to send me my lead / arsenic covered setup so i can get pictures and show. by the way it is a P size, i hope the cokin filters fit it good but if not im out 5 bucks for the setup. and have to buy the cokin one.

Have to put this here as I cannot seem to find how to start my own thread?? Anyway, I am going to start using COKIN, filters where needed, as in GND. Question is, will ONE holder do for 77 to 52 filters? Or, must I get a holder for each lens?
There are three parts. Part one is the lens adapter, this is a metal ring that screws into the front of the lens. If you have lenses with different filter sizes, then you will want different sized lens adapters (or just get the biggest size and a step-up ring).
The second part is the filter holder. The filter holder attaches to the lens adapter, and it will attach to any size lens adapter (as long as it's the same 'A, P or X' size).
The third part is the filter itself, which slides into the filter holder.

I would assume that you can buy them in kits, but I'm not sure. I'd recommend checking out some used camera stores or E-bay etc. Filters are much less popular now, than they were when film was king.

------------------------------

Big Mike~ True what you say about filters, but I don't believe that is the case when it comes to GND filters. You might able to do it in PS, but I just got CS5, and have yet to discover it, if there is a way. In addition, I thought of something else. Not having a holder, I just have no idea on this-- maybe you do. I have a Nikon R1 C1 kit for my Macro work and there are several 'adapters' included. However, they are like double or so thickness, with a groove in the middle that the ring snaps into. I thought maybe they would work, but I double checked, and since they are THICK, I am in doubts they would be of help here. SO~ what you are telling me, is I need ONE holder, and an adapter of each size lens I might use? That does make sense, but one never knows with these things. :) This will only be used for GND filters, so one of each flavor would do? OK - fair enough. THANKS :thumbup:
Best,
J. R.

Just to clarify...

GNDs (Graduated Neutral Density) are used to equalize light differences, like between a light sky vs. a darker ground. That said, in CS5 you can take two shots, one for propoper exposure of each, then do a graduated blend in CS5 just fine. Actually, you have even more control with that method than using GNDs in front of the lens.

Now then, for slowing time, like for waterfall shots, you want full NDs, not graduated, and for that there's no real good substitute for getting it at the time of shooting.

Last edited:
Just to clarify...

GNDs (Graduated Neutral Density) are used to equalize light differences, like between a light sky vs. a darker ground. That said, in CS5 you can take two shots, one for propoper exposure of each, then do a graduated blend in CS5 just fine. Actually, you have even more control with that method than using GNDs in front of the lens.

Now then, for slowing time, like for waterfall shots, you want full NDs, not graduated, and for that there's no real good substitute for getting it at the time of shooting.

BUCK~ Hey! I will have to check theat out-- GREAT tip on waterfalls as well. I've always believed that, get it right in camera, makes kife a lot easier. I am an old guy, and all this is somewhat new to me. ALWAYS looking for a better way to do things. I really like the CS tip. Need to check that out. Trying to get ready for the last big trip of the season (camping) and want to add this option to my bag, THANKS!!
Best,
J. R.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back