Filter Recommendations - 85 1.4

kawasakiguy37

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have two lenses using the 72mm filter size and Im wondering if I should either:

Buy step up rings and bring them to 77 (in case I buy 77 AF lenses later)

or just buy 72mm filters. One is a 180mm 2.8 telephoto and the other is an 85mm 1.4 (both nikkors). I am thinking a simple UV filter will be ideal to protect the front elements, and have been looking at used ones on adorama.

Tiffen good enough or are there better deals out there? I am quite broke. If UV maybe isnt the best do it all filter then Im open to other recommendations too, Ive even thought about graduated.

Protect the front element from what?

I recommend a CPL (Circular Polarizing filter) be part of every basic photo kit.

Tiffen isn't great, B+W is better, and more expensive.

UV filters are a lot thinner than that front element. That front element is also backed by other lens elements making it even sturdier. Cheeap UV filters degrade image quality and contrast, and the added air gap promotes unwanted lens flare

Check this out:

LensRentals.com - Front Element Scratches

The 180 Nikkors going back many years all have sliding lens shades built-in, so using a 77mm filter on a 180/2.8 which has a 72mm filter thread is kind of a PITA. Same thing goes for an 85mm with a thread-in lens hook that uses 72mm filter threads...the easiest solution I think is to just buy the filters in the 72mm diameter and have the right size filter for the lenses.

OR, the solution I actually prefer--go filter-free!!!

Yea, Im filter free right now but......Id rather just go with filters and ditch having to use lenscaps. Might make it faster to switch lenses?

Yea, Im filter free right now but......Id rather just go with filters and ditch having to use lenscaps. Might make it faster to switch lenses?
I don't think so.

The lens cap comes off as the camea is coming up to my eye. It's just an automatic action for me once the lens seats in the mount, take off the lens cap and put it in my left pocket.

If I'm in a real hurry to change a lens, the cap doesn't get put back on the lens that is coming off until there is a break in the action. Then the cap gets put back on the lens.

UV filters are cheap. Get the right one for the right lens. For things like Polarisers though a stepup ring and larger filter is always a viable option.

As for filters you need: for the 85mm f/1.4 get a piece of cardboard and cut a heart shape into the front of it and put it over the front of the lens. Then go up and take a picture of a girl at f/1.4 with highlights and light sources in the background. I guarantee the resulting picture will get you laid. :D

hahaha heart shaped bokeh huh? How about a flower? Or.......well, maybe I shouldnt say.

Use a circular polarizer to "protect" your lens. It has the added benefit of actually being useful.

Most reactions

Back