Filter Rundown

danherz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok i just read the thread on what filters are "must haves", and i realized im not even sure what half of the filters i was reading about are for.

If anyone could post up on which filters are good for what, or what the point of many different ones is i would appreciate it!:thumbup:

I posted a question on here about doing night shots and slow shutter speed experimentations. Someone recomended a UV filter and a Diffuser Filter. So, I looked them up and found a few links..

UV Filters

and for the Diffusers..

Diffuser Filters

The concept of light and diffusers makes perfect sense to me. I'm a trained audio engineer and work with sound. So, I'm very familiar with the spectrum of audible sound, like visible light. Very interesting stuff. The diffuser is amazing as it directs light in many different directions much like a diffuser does in acoustics.. I have a feeling these cocepts will come easy to me..

I hope the links are helpful. They were to me..

thanks !!! def good info, any one else have good info on other filters and what they like using them for?

I prefer to do my softening in postprocessing rather than with a diffuser - best to keep the original image as sharp as possible IMO.

The only filter I'd call "essential" is some sort of clear or UV filter to protect the lens (although there's always a large flame war over whether it's needed or not, I'm with the crowd that would rather lose a $15 filter than a multi-hundred dollar lens). Filters that are incredibly useful would include a Circular Polarizer (incredibly helpful in situations with glare) and a neutral density filter (for taking slow shots in bright light).

I would also consider which filter affects could be duplicated in Photoshop. Certain filters like an infrared, polarizer, neutral density can't easy be Photoshopped so I would prioritize those over a warming filter.

Just make sure you use a quality filter as your lens will never be better than the glass in the filter you are using.

Another good one to have is a Split Neutral Density or maybe a Coloured Split ND.

They're very good foe shots where the sky is much brighter than the scene and would loose detail.

Couloured Split ND filters can add a cast to the sky without affecting the landscape too e.g an orange Split ND would work well to make sunsets more orange & warmer without turning trees/buildings etc funny colours.

for black and white photography, colored filters enhance contrast and change the look of your image.
for example, a red filter will make a red objects white and blue objects black...

a red filter with a polarizer will turn skys black while keeping clouds white in B&W.

the effect below was obtained with a red filter, and a polarizer. that is it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/wewillfighttheheathens/floatingjon008.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back