Filter Suggestion

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by smudger, Jan 16, 2007.

1. smudger

smudger TPF Noob!

I plan on taking a vacation to Scotland in mid-March and wanted to make sure that I was adequately prepared for proper equipment for the beautiful landscape I plan on shooting. I am an amateur who owns a Canon Digital Rebel XT and a 75-300 telephoto lens.

My question is, what filter should I bring along to optimize my photo shooting that is relatively inexpensive?

I have a hood for my telephoto lens that I was going to use as protection, but this seems a bit cumbersome for travel. As mentione earlier, I most likely will be taking pictures of the landscape and some indoor pictures.

Regards.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    A polarizer is really the only filter I would consider. Even then, I probably wouldn't use it on the 75-300 lens. With that lens, it's hard enough to get a good shutter speed...putting a filter on it, will only make it worse.

Do you have the bayonet style hood for that lens? Because if you do, you can just reverse the hood and screw it back on 'backwards'. That way it doesn't really take up any more space when traveling.

3. PetersCreek

PetersCreek TPF Noob!

Is that 75-300 the only lens you have? If so, that could make landscape photography more of a challenge. Can you buy or borrow a wide angle before your trip? Though I've never been, what I've seen makes me believe the scenery there begs for using one.

The only other piece of glass that I'd recommend as essential for a trip to Scotland is one to hold the fine single malts I'd be sampling on distillery tours!

4. smudger

smudger TPF Noob!

My only other lens was the lens that came with my camera when I bought my Canon, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Lens . Therefore, my options are to bring this lens along, or bring my telephoto lens. Any thoughts? Thanks.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can't you bring both lenses?

For landscape shots...I would certainly want the 18-55 rather than the 75-300. The 75-300 would more suited to photographing people or wildlife.

6. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    If you can only take one lens, definately make it the 18-55 and if you had a wider one, I would take that as well. The 75-300 will only help if you see the Loch Ness monster, but as Big Mike says, take a polaroid filter. But get a good one. Why reduce the quality of your shots by using an inferior filter.