Filter

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey does anyone know what kind of filter i can buy so that i dont get sun spots(mirror reflect) in my exposures?

Firstly it's called sun flare, and it's not the result of the mirror in anything other than mirror lenses.

It's the result of light reflecting between elements of the lens. The only thing you can do to prevent it is buy a lens hood that prevents the light hitting the lens if it's not in the picture (but naturally doesn't work if the photo has the sun in it), or upgrade to better lens with finer anti-glare coatings.

Also if you have a UV filter on your lens, remove it when taking photos that would cause flare because the filter as an additional piece of glass creates yet another reflection.

hey does anyone know what kind of filter i can buy so that i dont get sun spots(mirror reflect) in my exposures?
Sorry, you're out of luck. The only sure solution is, don't point the camera near the Sun or any other bright light source.

As Garbz mentioned, removing any filters and using the right lens hood for that lens will help, but only as long as the Sun is not near or in the frame.

Last edited:
Yup, adding a filter is more likely to give you more/worse sun flare.

Also, besides a hood, it often helps if you just make sure that the sun isn't shining directly into the lens. I will often hold my hand, or maybe my hat, over the lens to block the sun.

Most reactions

Back