Filters and Digital Cameras?

notsue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Which filters do I need for my camera, and what things can be accomplished with the tools built in the camera?
I dont want to spend much time on the computer trying to fix a picture after the fact because I've noticed my computer doesnt show me things how they really are.

Which filters do I need for my camera, and what things can be accomplished with the tools built in the camera?
I dont want to spend much time on the computer trying to fix a picture after the fact because I've noticed my computer doesnt show me things how they really are.
You need a circular polarizing filter (CPL) and maybe some neutral density (ND) filters.

Hard to tell you which in camera tools might help, since you didn't mention what kind of camera.

The problem with trying to work in the camera is the LCD is so small you really can't see what you're doing and it may show you things even more unreal than your computer.

because I've noticed my computer doesnt show me things how they really are.
That's a problem...not a fact of life.
Get a calibration system for your monitor, so that it does show you how thing really are.

And yes, I'd also suggest a circular polarizing filter.

Are the white balance options good enough to not need a filter to correct the yucky colors that can come from different types of light?

Back in the days of film, it was sometimes necessary to use color correction filters when you weren't using the correct film type for the lighting that you have. Being able to adjust the WB setting on a digital camera, does take care of that issue.
So hopefully that will solve the 'yucky' color issue :)
However, if you are shooting in mixed light, you may still get weird colors because you can only set the WB to one setting at a time.

Further to this, most cameras allow you to set a custom WB. You take a calibration shot (usually with a white surface or a grey card) then use that image to set your custom WB.

Another benefit of some digital cameras is the ability to shoot in RAW. This allows you to set the WB on the computer, in the post processing stage. I always shoot RAW, so I usually don't worry too much about WB when shooting.

Back in the days of film, it was sometimes necessary to use color correction filters when you weren't using the correct film type for the lighting that you have. Being able to adjust the WB setting on a digital camera, does take care of that issue.
So hopefully that will solve the 'yucky' color issue :)
However, if you are shooting in mixed light, you may still get weird colors because you can only set the WB to one setting at a time.

Further to this, most cameras allow you to set a custom WB. You take a calibration shot (usually with a white surface or a grey card) then use that image to set your custom WB.

Another benefit of some digital cameras is the ability to shoot in RAW. This allows you to set the WB on the computer, in the post processing stage. I always shoot RAW, so I usually don't worry too much about WB when shooting.
If you use flash indoors you would need to gel the flash to match the ambient light to avoid color casts.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back