filters and hoods

hmm....I would have thought the lens already come with its own hood. Not sure why you would need to buy one.

Because Canon and Nikon have become companies run by scheming sales bastards instead of photographers. ;)

hoya filters (from what I've heard) are definitely great filters...
I have Hoya, B+W and Tiffen CPLs. Nothing wrong with Hoya at all, I would only suggest to go with the Pro1 series.

I'm in the camp of no filter for 'protection', unless you're in an environment that warrants some cover.... dust, sand and the like. Then I would consider a clear glass filter to keep the tiny specs from your front element.

If you want the professional look with your hoods, see if you can find the flower petal looking hoods.. Also, if you are going to be using the CPL, you might want to make sure the lens hood is a screw on hood and not one that just twists on...
:confused: I'm not sure I can decipher that comment. Get the hood made for your lens, whether it's a screw-on or a twist & snap-on. When I mount a lens on my camera, the hood is in position before the viewfinder is brought up to my eye. ALWAYS. It's just part and parcel of the process.

FYI: Petal hoods are for lenses that don't rotate externally - non petal lenses are for the ones that do. Really has nothing to do with being more professional, just the right part for the tool. In my opinion if you had a petal hood on a rotating front end you'd look more like a moron than a professional :D

Hoods = yes
Filters for a specific creative reason = yes
Filters just because = no

Last edited:
I just wanted to add that even with a deep hood, you can still rotate the CPL.

CPL-1-Edit.jpg

Run your finger on the inside of the hood until you reach the filter.... turn as necessary.​

My comment about the petal hoods and screw on hoods was based solely on what I have seen mentioned here. If I was wrong I apologize ;)

thank you kundalini for posting th pic of being able to rotate the CPL with a hood on. I am probably going to need that ;)

While petal hoods are only for lenses that don't have the front element rotate, some lenses that the front element don't rotate use round hoods. I'm not sure I am familiar with any Canon L hood that is petal shaped, they are all round to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not sure I am familiar with any Canon L hood that is petal shaped, they are all round to the best of my knowledge.

70-200 2.8s (the f/4.0s are not petals), 24-70, 16-35, 17-40, 24-105, and 28-300L, 24mm, 35mm, all have petal hoods. The 14mm also has a petal hood that is non-removable.

ahh, well, I suppose most of what I have seen are the longer lenses, as the 70-200 4's 100-400, 135 180 200 300, 400 500 600 all have circular hoods.

I do wonder why the f/2.8 version of the 70-200 has the petal hood.

Last edited:
hmm....I would have thought the lens already come with its own hood. Not sure why you would need to buy one.

Because Canon and Nikon have become companies run by scheming sales bastards instead of photographers. ;)

:lol: eh....for a few hundred dollars that the lens costs, you'd think the least they can do is give us the 50 cents hood :er:

this seems to be a new trend, with kit lens , no lens hoods.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back