Filters for color concert shots?

Fekhten

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Should I use any filters (and which ones) for color shots of concerts (rock) in small venues? I plan to use high speed film.

Thanks.

-Fekhten

I wouldn't use filters personally. When the lighting is already against you, you would be losing another 1 or 2 stops from the filter.

Nor do i. Think that stage lights give the pictures an attractive color dominant which helps on constructing the live atmosphere. Another thing is that stage lightning use to be unpredictable, changing from time to time, so a filter could become unsuitable. Also keep in mind what voodoocat tells. With a 2.8 lens wide open you´ll find some difficulties to take a sharp one... so it would be better not to lose some f stops because of the filters

I agree with the above, with the exception of possibly you may want a UV filter for protective purposes only. It won't affect exposure. I also like to use a lens hood. It helps with stray light and also adds some protection. It's not just for when somebody bashes the front of your lens, these can help with beer spills, etc.... In situations where the lens may need to be cleaned repeatedly I prefer cleaning the UV filter than the actual lens surface.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back