Filters for my Mamiya 645: CPL, ND-Grad ?

myopia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I am looking to add a bit of punch in my landscape shots. I need a recommended circular polarizer (i did try a search). Also, I need an ND-Grad filter recommendation- including the right "holder" for it (Cokin P is all I know about). For polarizers, I know there is a large variety of brands and qualities, so the prices must get steep quickly. I also don't have $100 for a CPL. The size I am looking for is 58mm for my Mamiya Sekor-C lenses, and I will buy stopdown rings for my 52mm Nikkors.
Thanks for any info.

Depending on how wide your lenses are, the Cokin P filters might not be large enough (risks of vignetting); you may need 100mm wide filters. Also, I find that Cokin ND graduated filters are not truly neutral and sometimes give a purple cast to skies. I use Lee and Hitech filters ND graduated filters and I am really pleased with the results.

My mamiya lens all take 58mm filters. I got a deal on them at Wolf (Ritz). I just use a plane poporising filter and it works finr, less than 10.00
JS

I have the Cokin 'A' filters which are a little less expensive than the 'P' 's but get me into trouble sometimes with my 45mm Sekor. I would reccomend the 'P' series as they will not get in the way of your wide angle shots.

A linear polarizer is perfectly fine. You only need a CPL if you're planning on autofocusing through it. So unless you have a 645AF, you don't need it.

this is all great news. cokin p series holders from ebay are cheap. linear polarizers are cheap. ND-grad filters are not badly priced either.

Which 645 do you have?

J, E, Super, Pro, or Pro TL?

Is it the newer plastic body? If so, it's probably some kind of Super.

Sounds like my Mamiya M645j or a 1000s or something. There's a review for the M645j I wrote on creativeimagemaker.co.uk . This year at tax time, my local PhD (doctor of photography) prescribed a second body and two more lenses to help getting over my bout with G. A. S. It's recurring. Just got a 4x5.Look out.

...You only need a CPL if you're planning on autofocusing through it.

Or metering through it, if the meter cell is behind a beamsplitter. It's because linearly polarized light behaves differently from 'unpolarized' light when it passes through a beamsplitter. Circular polarizers polarize, then effectively depolarize the light, while linear polarizers leave it polarized.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back