Filters, oh the choices

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by VaE39, Jun 17, 2009.

1. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm in the market for my first filters. Right now I have a D80 with the kit 18-55mm lens, 50 f/1.8, and on its way Sigma 10-20mm. I'm really into urban photography and landscapes so I always have a problem with blown out skies. What filters do you suggest and for which lenses. I never realized how expensive they were!

2. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Two of the most useful filters are #1 a circular polarizer (for glare, reflecion and to makes certain colors pop... green and blue) and #2 a neutral density (to give you longer shutter speeds in bright sun, give the silky smooth in waterfalls). Others will chime in on #3, a UV filter (I don't use them).

Your Nikkor lenses are a 52mm filter size and I believe the Sigma will be a 77mm.

Get nothing less than a multi-coated filter or keep your money. Popular brands are B+W, Hoya and Tiffen.

Just my 2ยข.

3. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the help! Are there different types of circular polarizers? I know they're different stops to the ND filter but which one is recommended?

4. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    ^^ Just the quality of material and build. You can use the search function in the upper right of your screen for many, many comments about filters. I use higher end filters ( = $$).

Have a read through Filters 101 by Thom Hogan.

5. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah the CP or the lowest ND will work for you and as was said dont go cheap on the filters. You want multi-coated.

6. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think that you are heading in the wrong direction if you are concerned with blown highlights, and hoping that a filter will "fix" that for you..

Learn to control your exposure first to keep those highlights in check before you decide on getting filters.. Besides, getting a bunch now for the lens you have may not be useful if you change to a different primary lens of a different size.

7. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comment LarryD. I see what you're saying, I know it's not a "fix" but there are some circumstances where I want flowing water, but its too bright out so I'd need a filter. And as Kundalini nailed on the head, I've been having a lot of problems with glare and reflections so I'm thinking a CP will help a bit. I didn't put my primary lens on there b/c its technically not mine. I typically use the Nikkor 18-200mm.

My problem would be the cost of these filters. The 50mm and 18-55mm are 52 where the sigma 10-20 is 77mm, and I think the 72mm. I know there are step up adapters for a 72mm to 77mm, but are there ones for 52 to 77?

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  9. LarryD

LarryD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, yes... A horse of a different color..

In the field, I typically carry the 70-200, and a 17-40, both 77mm filter lenses.. I have in the bag a CP and a Hoya ND4 that will fit either lens.. Since it is hot, dirty, and dusty here in the desert, I always have UV filters fitted unless I change to one of the others.

As you say, you may need step-rings, but get yourself a filter that will fit the majority of lenses you intend to use.... I don't think that I would get 77's to use on 52mm lenses.

If you are a big sunset fan, or live near the seaside, then a Graduated Neutral Density may be useful..

Enjoy your photography...:D

10. VaE39

VaE39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What an arsenal of filters. I think I'll get a cp and an ND and work those until I know what I'm doing with it before getting more for each lens. I do live close to the beach so the Graduated ND filter may be in the future for me. Thanks for the help!