Filters stuck together

Rollei12

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was out taking pictures and had a UV filter on my camera. I took a picture with sky so I put a red filter on top. Tried to take them apart afterwards and they were stuck! I figured the negative pressure inside is too great to get them apart? How do I get them apart? Are they stuck for good?

A few things you can try include:

Tap the edge with a wooden spoon handle for a few minutes...see if it loosens the threads.

Freeze them for an hour or two and try.

GENTLY grip the front filter and turn it...

Screw a lens shade onto the front filter and a lens reversing ring on the back filter and see how that goes: this gives the most grip.

There are "filter wrenches" made for this. You can also use a large rubber band as a grip-enhancing device to un-stick two stuck filters.

Try threading the rear filter onto the front of a lens, and then see if you can get the front filter un- stuck using a piece of a rubbery fabric known as dysum, which is this sort of unusual rubbery, grippy stuff often used to line kitchen cupboard drawers in motor homes and such.

Hammer.

Concrete block.

.22 to .45 pistol.

Dynamite.

Last edited:
Hopefully they're better-quality brass bodied, rather than the cheaper, aluminum versions, but regardless you can get them apart, usually. One trick I've used is to place a heavy rubber band on each filter rim to give you some "traction" as your try and separate them.

I'd remove them from the lens and sit in a sunny window for awhile. Then attempt to separate.

use two of those rubber kitchen things to help take the lid off of jars.
just one on the back filter, and one on the top filter.
then turn but DON'T squeeze while turning.

Most reactions

Back