Filters. Which one?

Don't you know it!

I didn't say landscape photography wasn't lucrative. It may be for all I know. It's just trite and boring and un-challenging for the most part, and way overdone because it's easy.

Well, the great thing is you have eyes, and the ability to make your own decisions. So stop looking at it if it bothers you. kthx

Here's something that should make you avert your eyes:

0606040-R1-006-1A.jpg
you better hope that i was too drunk to remember signing a model release

OOOOOOOOH my f*cking g*d... GET. OFF. YOUR. MOTHER. F*CKING. HIGH. HORSE. Or I'll shoot it out from under you for Christ's sake.

:banghead:

oh my ....

calm down :hugs: it's not worth it ...

Petraio Prime said:
I could use a drink myself.

You have to understand seeing the same old sort of thing year after year is just stultifying. I can't take it anymore. If I hear another person ask about landscape photography I think I'm gonna croak.

LOL

Why not just take the coward's way out if you can't take it any more? I mean eventually, you are going to croak. But wouldn't you really rather be in charge of when that happens? You know, so that YOU are in control of your exit time and place? Don't you think that'd be cool? Get out your beloved Leicaflex, put on a fantastic Leica lens, you know, something aspherical and superbly corrected, load the camera with your favorite film, mount the whole rig onto a good sturdy tripod, set the self timer, and then hit the self timer release, and then run over to the pre-established focus point--a MANUAL-focus focus point, of course, and then make your final curtain call at the precise moment that silky-smooth Leicaflex focal plane shutter begins to expose that gorgeous 24x36mm piece of film. Wouldn't that be dramatic? It'd be like a Fellini film!!!!!! Or a film directed by some other pretentious European blowhard director!

I know the resulting photo could not of course qualify as art, because as you have told us so many times P-P, photography can never be art. But this would be "theatre". The resulting photograph would be your very last one, and as such might rise to the level of a collectible photograph at some third-rate art museum in some Italian tourist trap town, displayed next to a small collection of Cindy Sherman's early work. You know, the really atrociously crappy stuff she shot early on.

And, for the final shot--would you suggest a circular polarizer, or a graduated ND filter, Petraio?

Petraio Prime said:
I could use a drink myself.

You have to understand seeing the same old sort of thing year after year is just stultifying. I can't take it anymore. If I hear another person ask about landscape photography I think I'm gonna croak.

LOL

Why not just take the coward's way out if you can't take it any more? I mean eventually, you are going to croak. But wouldn't you really rather be in charge of when that happens? You know, so that YOU are in control of your exit time and place? Don't you think that'd be cool? Get out your beloved Leicaflex, put on a fantastic Leica lens, you know, something aspherical and superbly corrected, load the camera with your favorite film, mount the whole rig onto a good sturdy tripod, set the self timer, and then hit the self timer release, and then run over to the pre-established focus point--a MANUAL-focus focus point, of course, and then make your final curtain call at the precise moment that silky-smooth Leicaflex focal plane shutter begins to expose that gorgeous 24x36mm piece of film. Wouldn;t that be dramatic? It'd be like a Fellini film!!!!!! Or a film directed by some other pretentious EUropean blowhard director!

I know the resulting photo could not of course qualify as art, because as you have told us so many times P-P, photography can never be art. But this would be "theatre". The resulting photograph would be your very last one,and as such might rise to the level of a collectible photograph at some third-rate art museum in some Italian tourist trap town, displayed next to a small collection of Cindy Sherman's early work. You know, the really atrociously crappy stuff she shot early on.

And, for the final shot--would you suggest a circular polarizer, or a graduated ND filter, Petraio?

Can I take you with me?

:lol:

this thread is very entertaining... bravo

maybe so, but the sillynes ends here.

Petraio I don't want to see anymore input from you in this thread, this is going to far.

To join a forum with lots of beginners and say how pointless things are because you've seen it all over a period of a zillion years does not help anyone, and frankly has no place on any forum. You have been warned.

Thank you all who replied to my initial question. I was leaning towards a polarizer anyway.

I didn't read a lot of the posts in regards to Petraio Prime's comment but I'll say just the following.

To Petraio: I take pictures because I like them, not because I hope you will. If in fact landscapes are "easier" than other subjects, then I'm pretty darn happy since my shots should come out better with less work :D . If I were to play your game, I could say that "rusty buses" are done too much also. They are also very cliche and boring. People take pictures of rusty buses because they think they are being "artistic". See here: rusty bus picture - Google Search

Remember, that is what I could have said, but didn't.

Anyway, I'd love to discuss the value and interest in landscape photography if you are able to have a mature discussion. If not, so be it.

Edit: Judging from your pm, I gather that you chose the "so be it" option.

Last edited:
I have CPL as well. The next filter I am going to get is ND. With that, I can create a smooth water surface with long exposure without worry about overexposing the image.

I have CPL as well. The next filter I am going to get is ND. With that, I can create a smooth water surface with long exposure without worry about overexposing the image.

I would go with a CPL, ND filters are useful though ( not graduated so much ) because you can use them for water as Dao stated or if you need to use a fast lens and your camera doesn't have a fast enough shutterspeed in bright light, you can use one of them and get that shallow DOF if you want to shoot like a flower or a person or something ( although for landscapes the smooth water would be a selling point )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back