Filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by bhoskins, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,

I was just wondering wether it is possible to do those misty water shot effects that you see being done with waterfalls etc without ND filters or a polarizer?

Thanks

Ben

2. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It will be very challenging because you would need enough light reflection from the other objects to produce some good color yet hold your shutter open just enough to get some good motion blur. Try very, very close to nightfall.

3. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, if I was going to buy a ND filter what one should i get? I've seen Hoya ones with NDX2, NDX4, NDX8, is this the darkness of the filter? Lastly, which would be the best to get the effect that I am looking for.

Ben

4. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This was taken in an area covered by trees. The sun was also hidden on the other side of the mountain and it was very close to nightfall. I used an ND2 filter. I tried another shot right after after I removed the ND filter that came out completely blown out even with so little light.

[​IMG]

I personally suggest buying a CPOL and at least an ND2 to stack. My next shots will be with using an CPOL+ND4 or ND8.

5. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would definitely start out with an ND4. Yes, the bigger the number, the more light is blocked out. I believe the CPOL blocks the same amount of light as an ND2. As for brands, it all depends on your budget. Being new to filters, I myself am starting out using Tiffen and Hoya considering how relatively cheap they are... compared to B+W. Let me find you that link I have laying around to a ton of sample shots taking with all diff types of filters and stacks of filters.

6. Syndac

Syndac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hoya seems to be one of the most common brands, that's what most of my filters are. I chose the ND8 and I'm glad I did. Sometimes even that doesn't seem like enough for some of my pics.

7. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok. Here is the link to a good filter sample page. I spend way too much time here, hehe. Notice that the photos of waterfalls and rivers are usually taken with a heavy ND and/or ND filters stacked upon one another.

http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/browsecategories?typeId=8

This photo, I took earlier this week. I was stacking an Quantaray ND2 + a Hoya Circular Polarizer. It turned out alright, but again... this was taking after sunset on a very cloudy day. I am still awaiting my ND4 and ND8 in the mail because I need a longer shutter drag for the days with clear skies.

[​IMG]

8. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Okay, is the technique possible without a CPOL, I presume this is to boost the colours in the picture? Could this not be done in PP in photoshop? So the higher the number for the filter, the more misty the water will appear, or does the shutter speed have a factor to play aswell?

Ben

9. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, it can be done without an CPOL but using an ND filter.

Hehe, just about anything can be done in photoshop these days. You can always get the motion blur from another photo off the net, then mask the layer into your photo but you won't get the satisfaction your deserve.

By leaving your shutter open longer, the water produces the motion blur effect. The filter just enables you to open your shutter longer without blowing out the exposure. The filter itself, doesn't produce the misty effect.

10. maulrat

maulrat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, you can get low line Hoya ND filters online now for around $15 USD each.

so true.

11. bhoskins

bhoskins TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right got it now, I think i'll look into an ND8 seeing as a don't have a CPOL and dont currently have the money to buy one.

Thanks for your help maulrat, appreciated!

Ben

12. Syndac

Syndac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Excellent choice. You'll be glad you picked 8. ;)