Filters

exist_and_evolve

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am relatively new to the specifics of the actual art of photography. Sure, I've been taking photographs for quite some time, but I would love to go more in depth. I recently discovered the ability to use filters over the lens to change the color and such. I am completely virgin to this process obviously so any information, tips and advice is encouraged!!

THANKS!
-shara-

The world of digital has completely oblitterated the use of filters for colour changing with one exception, slightly translucent black filters known as Neutral Density filters.

Every filter type can be duplicated in photoshop these days with a few notable exceptions:

1) Neutral density (ND) filters designed to darken the light coming into the lense to allow for longer shutter speeds.
2) ND Graduated filters which serve to reduce the light in only a portion of the frame revealing more dynamic range in the final photograph.
3) Polarising filter. This is a complex physics process which can't be faked properly. A polarising filter cuts polarised reflected light such as the light which reflects off non metalic surfaces. It cuts reflections from water and glass, and darkens the sky away from from the sun. (oh and you should have one of these).
4) UV filter. Ok this one does nothing for digital cameras but it has saved a few members here on a few occasions. It is transparent to visible light and a great way to keep dust off lenses.

Just stay away from cheap filters as these are not anti glare coated and will likely ruin the contrast of your images or outright cause flare to appear in your photos. That and the cheap ones are likely to ruin image quality regardless. Not all glass is equal.

I agree, if you are are shooting digital, most filters are obsolete. Learn to use post processing software effectively, it's a much more powerful tool than colored filters.

I also recommend a Polarizing filter.

I really like the colored filters as in yellow and blue, but you think I would be better off doing that in photoshop?

Well you save yourself $80 (2 Hoya HSMC colour filters). The reasoning is not to spend money. In photoshop or any semi decent photo editing program you have nearly limitless ability to adjust the colours to match any colour filter there is.

I say nearly because I forgot another that can't be matched with photoshop and that an Infrared filter.

The filter manufacturers (such as Tiffen and Hoya) usually have some good educational info on their websites.

Every filter type can be duplicated in photoshop these days with a few notable exceptions:

1) Neutral density (ND) filters designed to darken the light coming into the lense to allow for longer shutter speeds.
2) ND Graduated filters which serve to reduce the light in only a portion of the frame revealing more dynamic range in the final photograph.
3) Polarising filter. This is a complex physics process which can't be faked properly. A polarising filter cuts polarised reflected light such as the light which reflects off non metalic surfaces. It cuts reflections from water and glass, and darkens the sky away from from the sun. (oh and you should have one of these).

Yep, those are the only filters I have, any of the color stuff can be done with PS.

The filter manufacturers (such as Tiffen and Hoya) usually have some good educational info on their websites.

You mean like This page from Hoya which claims that Digital CCD and CMOS sensors are especially susceptible to flare and thus you need a "digital multicoating" on your filters? :lmao:
The filter manufacturer's website is the last place I'd send someone new filters since they'd be least able to filter through the marketing BS.

Colour filters are used mostly on film cameras.

Use colour filters to manipulate tonal values with B+W film.

Use colour correction filters to colour balance artificial light sources with Colour film.

3) Polarising filter. This is a complex physics process which can't be faked properly. A polarising filter cuts polarised reflected light such as the light which reflects off non metallic surfaces. It cuts reflections from water and glass, and darkens the sky away from from the sun. (oh and you should have one of these).

Works on metallic surfaces too.

can i achieve all this stuff in adobe photoshop elements, or do i need to get the CS4?

I believe photoshop elements also has a channel mixer which is the tool you are after. Setting Red to 100% and the other to to 0% would simulate a number 25A Red Filter.

Most reactions

Back