Filters!!

rommeeeezy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hmmm, so i've been interested in some filters for a while and i have a basic understanding of most of them. But what brand of filters do you guys suggest and for what main purpose?

I'm just looking at the big three.

1) Circular Polarizer
2) Graduated Neutral Density
3) UV Filter

Any ideas on what brand's the best for your buck?

Thanks!!

Best bang for buck is the top of the line Hoya filters. But they don't make a ND Grad filter in a plate (to my knowledge) so Cokin seems to be a good cheap favourite.

I have a Hoya Pro1D Circular Polariser, and the same model UV on most of my lenses, though some of my higher end lenses have B+W UV filters on them.

Just to let you know in advance you've just started a ****storm, get ready for people to have an argument about the pros and cons of UV filters (as protection) on digital cameras. I will just say I wouldn't have some of my lenses anymore if it weren't for those filters, and I definitely don't have the filters anymore as they got written off in the incidences. I highly recommend UV filters for protection, you will be required to remove them to reduce ghosting when shooting into bright high contrast light sources, and I won't mention UV filters again this this thread, and you can make up your own mind about the quality impact: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...100830-more-hoya-filter-comparison-tests.html and http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-even-more-filter-comparison-tests-flare.html :)

I like Hoya Pro or B+W or Nikon (nulti coated for any of them) for Circ Polarizer.

For Grad ND I went with the Cokin mounting sysytem and Hi-Tech filters. When I bought, my reasearch led me to the conclusion that the Hi-Tech are a step above the Cokin, and sometimes Cokins had a color cast. I didn't want to go with expensive glass ones since I don't use them that often. So, Hi-Tech brand in the cokin mount seemed a good way to go.

What about buying one filter say 67mm for example (for my largest lens) then getting a step up adapter for my smaller lens 52mm to use the 67mm fillter. Would that work? $19 for a step up adapter seems like a better deal then having to spend another $80 on a filter. Would I have any issues with this?

Best bang for buck is the top of the line Hoya filters. But they don't make a ND Grad filter in a plate (to my knowledge) so Cokin seems to be a good cheap favourite.

I have a Hoya Pro1D Circular Polariser, and the same model UV on most of my lenses, though some of my higher end lenses have B+W UV filters on them.

Just to let you know in advance you've just started a ****storm, get ready for people to have an argument about the pros and cons of UV filters (as protection) on digital cameras. I will just say I wouldn't have some of my lenses anymore if it weren't for those filters, and I definitely don't have the filters anymore as they got written off in the incidences. I highly recommend UV filters for protection, you will be required to remove them to reduce ghosting when shooting into bright high contrast light sources, and I won't mention UV filters again this this thread, and you can make up your own mind about the quality impact: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...100830-more-hoya-filter-comparison-tests.html and http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-even-more-filter-comparison-tests-flare.html :)

Agreed. +1 :thumbup:

skieur

uv filter - any at all tbh, just for protection ~(i got mine for £5) some people say clear filters but they are like £30 - £60 not worth it since uv filters work just aswell, as long as you remove it when shooting bright lights (especially at night)

Polarisers - I got this one for £20 [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00005K4A4/ref=oss_product]Hama Circular Polarizer Filter 58mm: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame] great results

ND Filter (not grad) I got this for £25 and is also great and gives me 3 stops. -
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00004ZCDI/ref=oss_product]Tiffen 58mm Neutral Density 0.9 Filter: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame]

uv filter - any at all tbh, just for protection ~(i got mine for £5)

Are you serious or just trying to get a rise out of KmH?

multicoated filters are a bear minimum requirement regardless of their purpose. I'm not one of those any sheet of added glass is bad types, but a cheap filter is flat out a bad idea.

What about buying one filter say 67mm for example (for my largest lens) then getting a step up adapter for my smaller lens 52mm to use the 67mm fillter. Would that work? $19 for a step up adapter seems like a better deal then having to spend another $80 on a filter. Would I have any issues with this?

So will this work?

So will this work?

That will work just fine!

i typically stick with hoya - great quality, affordable (ebay dealers)

I initially started with B+W multicoated filters in 77mm and used step up rings for lenses with smaller mounts (77 was largest lens filter ring at the time). Worked fine for many years (Cpol and ND filters). Recently I started to get lazy and not want to deal with the step up rings. So, I bought a set of Hoya Pro Digital filters in a 2nd size that fits several of my smaller primes and cheaper travel zooms. The step up rings work fine if your not constantly changing lenses.

I do not use UV or protector filters. My oldest lens that I purchased new is about 15 years old now. Still not a scratch on it (I do use hoods though). If you don't use a hood then maybe a multicoated UV may be in order. But I am a believer that the more glass you have in front of your lens, the lower the quality of the shot. Multicoating does help and is worth paying the extra for it when you do use a filter.

If your going to buy a very good filter then I say go with one that fits your largest filter ring size (or a lens you might buy in the near future). And pick up step up rings for the smaller ones.

ok great thanks! I didn't know if there was something in the polarization that made a 77 only work on a lens that had a 77mm opening. That's what I'll do then. I typically stick with a lens for a whole day so I'm not too concerned about swapping them out.

So will this work?

That will work just fine!

Maybe have issue if OP want to use a hood. Of course, if OP is not planning to use hood. I do not think there is a problem. And I heard a lot of people doing that.

I use Hoya multi-coated UV filters for all of my lens and I only have 3 :) I make sure the price of the filter to price of the lens doesn't get too out of hand (using a $50-60 filter on a $99 50mm 1.8 lens doesn't sound right....) if it is there for protection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back