Filters???

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like to know a few things about filters...
You know how you can adjust the curves/Levels in PS to make the whites whiter and the darks darker? Well, I was wondering if there is a filter that makes the colors more vivid/makes the whites whiter etc...

I already have a filter that says "Canon 58mm UV HAZE Philippines" I got it with the lens and I'm not sure what it does... Is it a polarizer filter?

I would like to learn more about using filters and get more knowlegable in that area.
Thanks!

btw. my lens' filter size is 58mm, so if you have any good deals I'm in. ;)

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

I have a polarizer and close up +3 filter for 58mm that I may wanna sell...
Plus, im not sure...but for black and white,a Red Orange or Green filters give great effetcs, and for colour....I really dunno....Warm up filter 81B ive always liked....I think its a polarizer you want though....:) Hope this helped...

Bump,
Thanks Art!
I would like to get more info on the questions I asked so if anyone knows much about filters I would love to hear it. :D

I think the most common filters you'll here about are:
Polarizer - Polarizes light

Neutral Density - Makes the whole scene darker so you can user larger aperature or longer shutter speed.

Gradient - Like a neutral density but it's graduated so that only, say, the top hald is denser for things like landscapes.

Warming Filter - Gives a nice warmth to color portraits and what have you.

Red - Good for contrast in B&W

Infrared - Blocks Visual spectrum, lets in IR spectrum.

ahhhhh, there's just so many out there. These are the only ones I could think of off the top of my head.

Buy a Cokin system for your camera, and with it you get a book with all the filters in it, and then start your collection out of what you want little man!

LittleMAn what would you lie to know more about filters? I use only 3. UV, Polarizer and NDx4 which is a greay filter... so I can help only with those... and with "star filter" too :)

Well, it's late here and I will be really busy for a while... so I will revive this thread when I return...

This will be my last post until I return with pictures of Germany! :mrgreen:

"Red - Good for contrast in B&W"

by the way, some may consider the contrast created by a red filter to be too much, so you can always use a yellow or orange filter instead.

in order from weakest to strongest contrasting effect
yellow--->orange--->red

and red is good to use with infrared film as well.

basic combanation
UV , CPL , 81A warming , ND ....somethings like that

Most reactions

Back