Filters

Psytrox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm looking to focus my direction of photography more towards creating time lapse, both landscape and astro.

So this is, with this in mind, I'm looking for some advice on filters. Which filters are a must, and which are reccomended (polar, ND, UV etc)?
How are LEE filters compared to the normal filters? Pro's/Cons?

The lenses I have, is:
Nikkor 10-24mm, f3,5-4,5
Nikkor 50 mm f1,8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2,8 (which naturally will never be used for landscap, but should prob have one for it anyway)

I've been looking at the B +W (the brand) ones, but I think they could be kind of out of my price range, especially if i need a lot of them... All in all, I don't really want to spend more than 250 USD on filters.
edit: clarification

Last edited:
I would just use a filter during post processing for the B&W ones to save some cash. As far as the rest your guess isbas good as mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh I'm sorry, should probably have stated, I've been looking at B+W the brand, not black and white

I use B+W screw on filters.
I also use some square filters too.
Are you planning on time lapse during the day to get blurry clouds, etc etc. We really need more detail about exactly what you want to accomplish.

I will mostly be using the wideangle lens.
I am planning to do a lot of trekking this summer, i will most likely be taking landscape pictures duing the day, and timelapses during the evening and over night. During the day, I would like to take blurry clouds and milky rivers, and during the evening i want the golden hour, and night I want the stars...

I'm getting a feeling that I'm in a situation where i might be needing ND and graduated ND filters, and polar filters..? And probably biting over too much aswell

You can compensate some by stepping down the aperture. For instance, instead of using a f/5.6 you can go extreme and use f/22. This would require you to increase the shutter speed. But if you are taking during the daytime you'll probably want to get ND filters GND as well as regular ones. For GND you'll have to go to a square filter. All my GNDs are square using Cokin filters and a cheap setup. For regular ND and Circular Polarizer I use screw in B+W. I have about 4 or more different ND filters all dependent upon how much I want to affect light and increasing the shutter speed (with adjustments using the aperture).

It all comes down to the quality that you want. Many dark filters will color cast to the image.

here's a run down of Lee (square filters) 4th post down has a lot of links / information ==> Let's talk filters

Filters are useful, none of them are a 'must', but in order of importance, I would start with a polarizing filter, followed by soft-edge G-NDs (graduated neutral density) and then maybe a couple of full NDs. Your camera already has a UV filter built-in, so no need to waste money there.

B+W is an excellent brand and only one (very small) step below the absolute top-tier brands of Lee and Singh-Ray. Lee filters are very good, but also pricey. If you can afford them, that's great, and I highly recommend them. If not, then there are more affordable gel alternatives such as Cokin. They're not quite the same quality, but will get the job done, mostly.

To my understanding, Lee makes squared glass, which requires a fitting, Singh-Ray make the normal circular filters which screw on. What is the advantages and disadvantages of these two systems?

From what I can see, the "squared" (for lack of a better term) gives you some more flexibility compared to the "circular" system. Especially when using graduated filters, and the possibility of using them on different lenses (which may require a new fitting). Size and weight is an obvious disadvantage. Are there any other things to factor?

You say Cokin get the job done, mostly, when does it not? How far away from each other are these two system?

For polarizing filter, i assume you would recommend a circular type? Is there only one type? What i mean is, do you get filters that come with stronger and weaker "polarizing" effect?

I apologies if these questions are stupid or trivial… I just don’t know better :D

In no particular order:

-There are two types of polarizers circular and linear (referring to the physics of how they work, NOT their shape). Almost all digital cameras need circular polarizers due to the way their auto-focus systems work. Linear polarizers (which are now not all that easy to find, so not to worry) will NOT work.

-The only advantage to the rectangular gel-type filter as opposed to regular round ones is when you're using graduated neutral density filters. The design of the gel filter holder allows you to position the gradation wherever you want.

-For the gel-style, you buy whatever filters you need, a filter frame/holder and then adapter rings (inexpensive) so that you mount the one holder on to different lenses.

-The main issue with Cokin is that if you're shooting toward or at the sun, they can show a colour cast (usually a purple tone) in your images. This can be mitigated for the most part by shading the edges of the filter gels (I use a piece of matte black "fun foam"; Wal-mart, $.099), but even still, the colours won't always be perfect. With Lee & Singh-Ray you will almost never have issues, except perhaps under the most extreme conditions.

When you say time-lapse, your later description of what you want "milky rivers" makes it sound more like you want to do some long exposure photography.

Your 10-24mm and 70-200mm probably both use 77mm filters so just pick up a CPL in that size and add something like their 64x ND filter for those long exposures in daylight. I would not use the CPL at ultra wide angles as the effect changes depending on the angle to the light source and it often becomes noticeable in the final image.

If you really want the graduated ND filters then get the Cokin kit with some ND's and Grads.

Most reactions

Back