filters

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by klissarov ik, Jun 5, 2007.

1. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    okay so i'll buy some filters maybe tomorrow and i just wanted to be sure i was going for the good ones.

polarizer filter
    gray graduated filter

and there was another one i forgot the name something like FWS filter.. does it ring a bell?

i don't think about getting a UV filter for protection as i'll always have on of these filters on and i heard if you don't use the polarizer filter right- it won't make any effect so this is a good thing cause i could use it as protection also.

also, what's the difference between: neutral density filter & graduated neutral density filter?

any thoughts on all this is welcome and suggestions on filters i didn't put
    i'll be doing landscapes & urban pictures most of the time so it leave ya a little idea

thanks

2. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    An ND is a bit dark if the light gets low, same with a polarizer. A graduated filter is fine if thew sky is too bright but again, not good for lowlight and protecting the lens. If you are going WAY far north then nevermind ;)

mike

3. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hmm okay so here is a question- could i do the same effects that ND & graduated filters produce with Photoshop? i heard the only hard effect to do with PS is a polarizer filter...

also, i'll have to buy an SD card. 2gb would be nice.. any suggestions on card names? are there some i shouldn't buy or something like that.. right now i'm with a PNY 2gb and everything's fine.

4. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A graduated ND filter is perfect for shooting landscapes with a very bright sky. Without it, you will end up with a silhouetted foreground and a properly exposed sky. With it, you will get more detail in the foreground especially toward sundown.

The best broad landscape shots have detail in the foreground, middle ground, and background along with a properly exposed sky. That can be handled best with a graduated ND filter.

A polarizer will create better contrast between the clouds and the blue sky with the sun at right angles to your shot. It will also take the glare off water or wet leaves etc. and eliminate reflections in a glass window.

A software polarizing filter in Photoshop will help the sky and clouds but will not take eliminate reflections in glass or take the glare off wet materials. A software graduated neutral density filter can however give the photographer a great deal of control over lighting in photos already taken.

I use both on camera filters and software filters and I consider both absolutely helpful and necessary.

skieur

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

6. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

As far as filters go the only one I would personally recommend to everyone is a CPL any other filter is a personal decision if it fits your specific needs.

7. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    what's a CPL filter? that might be the one i was looking for..
    for some reasons i can't find any explanations on google

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Circular Polarizer

9. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    /QUOTE]You got that backwards. The polariser cant' be done in photoshop[/quote]

Not sure what you mean above, but I have a software polarizing filter which I use as a plug-in to Photoshop.

skieur

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess you could simulate some of the effects of a polarizer (darker skies) but it's not realistic to remove reflected light like a polarizer can.

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Correct, as I previously stated above. In general terms though, software filters have the advantage of selective application to any part of a photo which is not quite as possible with the glass type filters. :wink:

skieur

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's true...and that's why the only filter I use is a polarizer, because I can simulate just about everything else with software and the flexibility is infinitely greater when applying effects with software.