Filtration units

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Battou, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    [​IMG]
    Bigger here

A set of 58mm Macro Filters produced by Vivitar. This shot was taken this morning for an instructional illustration of close up (Macro) filters intended for Photo-Lucidity. I still have more photos of my macro equipment to take for this set but, I would like some feed back on this one for the time being.

2. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These are not "filters". Using the term "filters" when referring to them is incorrect.

They are "closeup lenses".

3. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually the proper term is "Close-up diopters", however "Macro filters" is an accepted alternitive.

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The proper term is "close-up lenses". "Close-up diopter" and sometimes simply "diopters" has become common slang, but is a bastardization and not proper.

The attachments being described are lenses. "Diopters" is a unit of measurement and not an object so using it in the compound noun like "close-up diopters" is grammatically incorrect. "Diopter" has become to be used as a noun by those who don't know the proper term and latch onto "diopter" because that is the common unit of measurement for the strength of a close-up lens. It may be common to use "close-up diopter", but its not proper.

5. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I like the shadows you have, but am not too keen on the tilt. I think it might look better if the tilted aspect were done away with. I like the overlapping of the filter rings.

As to the correct name of these devices-- I class what you have shown as close-up filters most of the time, since low-cost single-glass ones like these are single-element and use only ONE type of glass. To me, a close-up lens uses TWO types of glass, like crown glass and flint glass, and thus correctly focuses two colors of light to a single point of common focus, and that makes an achromatic lens; the Canon 250D and 500D are two-element doublets,and as such are more properly termed "close-up lenses". And they are priced as such, at around $140 for a 77mm model. The advantage of a two-element Canon close-up lens is a much better optical performance than with a cheapie, without all the color fringing so commonly seen with single element filters like those shown.

To me, a cheap, single glass, thin, filter-ring mounted device like these Vivitars is a close-up filter. A high-quality, two-element, achromatically corrected Canon 500D is a "close-up lens". At least, that's the way I mentally frame this subject.