Final weekend with d70, and first weekend with new 5D.

EJBPhoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just switched from a Nikon d70s to a Canon 5D. I also switched from shooting with a 50mm lens to an 85mm. All i can say it WOW, WOW, WOW. Switching to Canon and to this new lens has changed the way I shoot. It is so much more enjoyable, successful, and stress free. I already love it. Just wanted to post some recents from me :)

Usually I post settings but I'm sorry that I don't have them right now. I will tell you they were all taken at about an ISO of 200, in between f/1.8 and f/2.8, and usually on aperture priority, sometimes manual with shutterspeeds all above 1/100- even quicker with the younger kids. With almost all of these I set my subject up in open shade and faced them towards the sky, but tried to avoid letting them look into the sun directly. Unfortunately I got some children with very naturally squinty smiles. Pping was a combination of defogging, a soft light layer (at about 20 percent opacity), some color pop, pulling them up in curves, adding contrast and slight vignetting. The first one is taken in my garage. If you haven't tried to shoot in your garage yet, try it out! :) Just burn the background a little to get all the clutter to disappear once you've taken the images to photoshop.

The first four are from my d70, and the last one is my first day with my 5D. Hope everyone is well! Thanks for looking.

three-2.jpg

one-2.jpg

five-2.jpg

fourcopy.jpg

two-2.jpg

ps. I honestly have no idea if these images are too blown. I like my images to look VERY light to the point that they're almost blown, but not too blown out. I edited these on a new computer and am viewing them on my usual computer. Neither screens are calibrated and so I can't tell which is most right.

I always enjoy your work! The first four are a bit too bright for me; but I am not using a calibrated monitor so take it with a grain of salt. The last one is just lovely.

They are beautiful portraits.
Some go for this brightness.
If you did not, then yes, they may well be too blown, if you tried to achieve the blown effect, you were successful.
I never understand how you can bring the eyes out like this!?!?!

I usually go for close to blown, but not quite blown. Because I edited these on an uncalibrated monitor (my laptop was acting up) i did not realize how blown they were getting. And also, I see some have slight magenta casts and that will be fixed before they're sent to my lab :)

As far as the eyes, I use an eye popper action. If I don't then I usually dodge catch lights a little and sharpen the eyes extra to make them pop more.

Thanks for the comments both of you! :)

I personally am not a big fan of the high contrast portrait, but if you like that sort of thing, you did well with it.

Congrats on the 5D! I so want that camera...maybe someday I will be able to purchase it.

The focus on the eyes is very nice. Well done!

NJ

Most reactions

New Topics

Back